How to install a metal hose bib when you have PVC piping???

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Flipperman2a2w, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Flipperman2a2w

Flipperman2a2w New Member

I can't seem to find an answer on this anywhere. . . I have PVC piping in my garage. I would like to install a hose bib before the water gets to my filtering equipment. That way, I can use unfiltered well water for the lawn, pressure washing, etc. The pressure tank and well head are over 100 feet from my home, so attaching a hose there is not an option.

Here's my issue. . . All hose bibs I have ever seen are metal. Everything I have read on the internet says that you're NEVER supposed to connect a metal male thread to a female PVC thread. The metal male thread will always cause the female PVC thread to fail, due to the nature of metal vs. PVC and how the threads attach.

That having been said, how on earth do I attach a metal hose bib that has male threads to female PVC :confused:
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Two males PVC or CPVC ends joined by a brass threaded coupling would be one way.
    Or find a metal hose bib with a female connection that takes a plastic MA
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Use a transition fitting.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

They MAY make a transition fitting for PVC, but I have never seen one. A female thread hose bibb onto a male adapter, or even better, a threaded sch. 80 nipple, cut in half and using one piece, will solve your problem. Or a male adapter elbow, if the PVC is coming out of the ground at that location.
  5. Flipperman2a2w

I have so much to learn!!! The transition fitting looks like the simplest option. I found them at one of the stores online, but I never saw them at Lowes. . . Thanks, everyone.
  6. Flipperman2a2w

Something else I didn't realize. . . The only suitable transitions I could find to join a brass hose bib are for CPVC. I did, however, find a PVC to CPVC adapter, so I think I'm good to go. In any case, I'm planning to put this hose bib in a bypass loop. I want the option to completely bypass it. I'm worried that it might leak, and I also hate the notion that kids could simply open up the bib in the garage and cause a little flood.
  7. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I assumed you were working with CPVC as here the plumbing code does not allow the use of PVC indoors except for DVW.