Hot water coming out cold faucet all over hotel

Users who are viewing this thread

ryzav30

Reaction score
I'm new here to this forum so bare with me. I have been put in charge of maintenance at a hotel and recently been getting guest complaints that there is no cold water. It only happens early in the morning like 4 am to 5 am. I replace the single faucet
cartridge 8 the shower which didn't work and then I replace the mixing valve and that didn't work. I thought it was only happening in a couple of rooms but now it's happening every where. Please any help would be much appreciated. And we do have a recirculating system for our hot water

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Does your recirculating system have a separate return pipe or does it shove the recirculated water into the cold pipe?

I think you may find a non-contact infrared thermometer useful. If the cold is a mix of the actual cold with some hot leaking into the cold via something, the closer to the crossover flow, the warmer the cold water pipe would be. I have not actually tracked that down, but it seems like it should work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;oes your recirculating system have a separate return pipe or does it shove the recirculated water into the cold pipe?

A hotel would NEVER have the cold water type recirculation system. But, an improperly located, or missing, check valve in the recirc system could cause it.

ryzav30

Reaction score
I will check for missing check valves or bad ones and get back to you thanks for responding much appreciated

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have 2 recirculating pumps and they are on the return line does that seem correct

Depending on how your system is run, you could have two return pumps.

If you have a cross over, from hot to cold, it could be that someone added a shutoff at a shower head and left the shower on.
Or you could have a missing check valve if work has been done.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you leave the hot and cold handles on at a service sink and it has a soap dispenser connected to it or a hose with a shut-off on the end. This can cause a cross flow. Pre-rinse faucets can cause this problem too if they are not installed correctly. A washing machine “Y” connect hose on hose bibbs that do not have back pressure preventers installed… If the hot water return line ties into the cold line as it enters the hot water system a back flow preventer may need to be replaced or may not be located properly etc.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is the tempering valve a Leonard by any chance?

A bad shower balancing valve can cause the problem
Automatic soap dispensers can cause the problem (mop/utility sinks, maybe in the kitchen or laundry there is one)
A defective check valve on the re-circ line can cause the problem
A backflow situation (loss of pressure) can cause the problem
And finally, I ask about the tempering valve because if it's a Leonard valve, re-building it takes some finesse' and considerable care.

Go forth and play Sherlock Holms

Singh

Reaction score
Hi, was this person's problem ever solved? I'm having the same issue at my 28 room motel and don't know how to isolate the problem. We have to run the cold water for a while to eventually get cold water to come out.

We have two water heaters running in series and the recirculating pump is connected to the second water heater. The cold water supply line going into the first water heater in the series gets very hot and this is where the cold water also goes into the rooms. Could it be the first water heater is back flowing into cold supply line and into the rooms supply?

We also shut off the supply to both water heaters (even though they are in series). We also unplugged the recirculating pump and the valve going into the pump. The "hot" water side never turned off in any of the rooms. Do we have a cross connection?

What is the best way to isolate the cross connection or the backflow issue from the water heater? How do we know what is the cause?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
We also shut off the supply to both water heaters (even though they are in series). We also unplugged the recirculating pump and the valve going into the pump. The "hot" water side never turned off in any of the rooms. Do we have a cross connection?
Yes.

I am not a pro, but I would get an IR thermometer. It seems to me, the closer to the cross connection a cold water line is, the warmer that cold water line will be. Presuming a single cross connection, I figure the cold line will be warmest at that cross connection. It would cool down the farther it goes. Make sense? I have no experience with it, but trying to apply logic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks