Help installing toilet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Mosh Pit

Reaction score
WHen using the T-slots, you want the small end of the slot on either side to be at the flange rough-in distance, or maybe with a slight amount of room to the end of that slot. This is the strongest part of the slot. The SS ring is good. The flange you have has a socket on the bottom. This means you need to measure carefully to get the riser length proper so the pipe gets seated, and isn't too long or too short. They do make a similar flange that is more like a coupling...the pipe can be left long, the flange slid over it, then the pipe is cut off flush with the top of the flange when you're done. What you have will work fine, but measure carefully (you cannot dry fit, as the pipe won't bottom in the sockets until it melts with the cement). The Carlyle typically has about 3/4" clearance behind it when the rough-in is exact. There's more room at the base, so you shouldn't worry about a typical baseboard...only if it were very thick. When you install the Unifit adapter, you can fudge it forward maybe 1/4" or so from being exactly centered on the flange if you need it, but you probably won't. You do not want to be applying stress to the drain pipe. If you can't make it work, you may need to redo the pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A properly installed PVC pipe fitting has the pipe go all the way to the bottom of the socket. The socket is tapered. The bottom maybe 1/4-1/3 is smaller than the pipe's OD. So, if you push the pipe in until it stops, then measure, when you add the cement, which literally melts the plastic and push it to the bottom, the pipe will be short! You must measure the depth of the sockets, not try to dry fit or the pipe will be short, or the fitting won't end up where you want it. Found some that can fit inside of a 4" pipe, or over a 3" pipe, but not one that will fit over a 4" pipe. Pretty sure they make one...one of the pros may help in that regard. Also, if you don't weight it down, because the socket is tapered, until the cement's solvent evaporates, if you just leave it sit there, it can literally push itself apart. Either screw it down right away, or put something heavy on it until the cement cures. That depends on how much you put on, the temperature, and the size of the fitting. It's really annoying to not do this and come back in a half hour or so and find it rock solid, but now sitting 1/2" above the floor rather than on it!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It looks like you have a heel inlet to your closet bend. Where is that coming from and what is feeding into it? If this is a project that is going to be inspected, it's doubtful that that is going to pass inspection. Presumably you have a (min. 2") vent within a developed length of six feet from the flange (measured as if you stuck a tape measure down the flange and through the pipe...six feet maximum from the lip of the flange to the vent). To be to code, whatever that is that's flowing through the heel inlet should actually connect downstream of the vent for the closet flange, and the heel inlet eliminated. Doesn't mean people don't do it; just means it won't pass inspection.

As to your unanswered questions, your attachment approach sounds good. Best way to orient the flange is to measure from the wall in both places and, as Jim said, have the small end of the slot into which your closet bolts will slide be equidistant from the wall on each side. You can leave a little wiggle room; doesn't have to be right at the end. Since you are using a Unifit, you're not mounting the toilet to the flange anyway; you're mounting the Unifit to it and you will use the closet bolts and wax to make a nice seal between the Unifit and the flange. You will drill the floor and secure to the subfloor the end of the Unifit that is closest to the wall. The toilet will then "plug in" to the Unifit, and be bolted down to the Unifit.

Are six screws better than four when mounting? Probably.

You should have enough room behind the toilet base to use your 1/2" baseboard. I have a Carlyle II and some thick-ish baseboard. I would estimate about 1/2" difference between the rearmost part of the "tank" and the rearmost part of the base. You can always dry-fit it to be sure.

Looking at your photos...always kind of freaky to realize how little is standing between us and the kitchen floor below.

PS You're going to love your Carlyle II. We do. Looks fabulous. Works better.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Does the sink have a vent? A vent must come off at the same level as the outlet of the trap arm BEFORE the drain line turns down, or it's not a vent...it's an S-trap. If it doesn't have a vent, then you need to do more work to give it one. THen, there are a couple of ways you could deal with this. One would be to put a wye in the 4" for the sink to drain into, but I'm sure there may be better ways to do this. As long as the sink gets vented properly, the toilet is close enough to the stack so you could probably get by with not venting it directly. But, another thing, the line going up, it's likely it is a drain line for things further up. The rules are, once a line becomes a drain, it is always a drain...once a vent, always a vent. A drain line can become a vent above the highest drain inlet. Older houses used the main stack as a vent for things because it was considered big enough. That isn't allowed anymore.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Typically, you can repair what's there, but if you change things, the parts you touch must meet current code. The extent of the mods and the local inspector will determine what actually needs to be done. What was allowed way back when, obviously, can work, but it may not work in every situation, which is why the codes have evolved to try to accommodate. An old house may have been lucky to have one toilet, and now it's rare to find one without at least two, and many more isn't uncommon. Then, add a high efficiency washing machine that pumps MUCH faster than the old ones (but uses less water), and what worked with the 'old' methods no longer works. Lots of reasons why code changes, and the reason a repair is grandfathered, but changes are not.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A pro and your local inspector are better able to answer that question than I...sorry, can't help any more on that.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thanks Jim! Does anyone else have any thoughts on my situation?

It's interesting. I was focused more on the fact that you had the sink draining into a heel inlet on your closet flange, which isn't to code, assuming that your jurisdiction even requires/enforces codes. To be to code, the sink drain has to connect downstream of the vent from the closet flange, which in the current setup is the stack. I wasn't concerned that the sink wasn't vented properly, and the sink may indeed be vented properly to the stack through the wall on the floor above or otherwise. Does that stack have any fixtures from the floor above (or otherwise) draining into it at a level higher than you have shown in these photos, or is it purely a vent stack above there? If it's just a vent, and the sink's p-trap is vented to it somewhere, you're fine on the sink; that doesn't look to be more than 42" from the sink trap to the stack, horizonally, assuming that's a 1.5" drain.

The mere fact that they make closet bends with heel inlets indicates that people do plumb things this way, just not folks who are interested in having things done to code. I know some on here would say just to leave it alone, and that may be the right answer. But you can see how a clog in the pipe from the toilet to the stack, followed by plunging, could drive material back up the sink drain line and clog it with nastiness, or spew stuff up into the sink, which is probably one reason that the setup isn't code-compliant. But like I say, people do it. As this builder apparently did.

For what it's worth, here are two pretty-good pieces on plumbing for homeowners. The Bert Polk (Lincoln County) one is the one that Terry often cites to; the other one has some nice simplified diagrams and explanations that I have also found helpful.

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Plumbing-and-Trenching-for-Homeowners---2018 (klickitatcounty.org)

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plumbers don't use a lo-heel outlet in that position. That's meant to be used in the vertical.
You can use a wye fitting after the 90 bend on the toilet and pick up the lav that way.
It would be closet flange, 90 bend, wye fitting and then toward the santee on your cast iron stack.

We don't really pay much attention to what we find. We try to do things an inspector would pass on an inspection with permits.

The Carlyle will need 9-1/4" from the finished wall to center with the 10" Unifit.
Floor mold will fit at the wall.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
You can use a wye fitting after the 90 bend on the toilet and pick up the lav that way.
It would be closet flange, 90 bend, wye fitting and then toward the santee on your cast iron stack.

Terry, just for my edification, I'm wondering about the vent. Bert seems to say that additional fixtures have to enter downstream of the vent for the toilet. If the stack is the vent for the toilet, wouldn't using a wye like this mean that the drain for the lav is entering the line upstream of the toilet vent? Particularly if the lav isn't itself properly vented (currently an open question), couldn't using a wye there cause the toilet to siphon the lav's P-trap? (Especially after he installs a Carlyle II?)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A heel inlet closet bend is never permitted to be installed with the inlet horizontal. This is specifically referenced in our plumbing code. Regardless that someone did it wrong many years ago, it is just as wrong today.

It also appears that you have installed a fernco style reducer over the hub on the sanitary tee, which is also improper. You need to use a fernco style donut in the hub to make the connection.

An alternative method of properly plumbing the water closet and the lav would be to replace the existing sanitary tee in the stack with one that has a side inlet, and then running the lav drain to the side inlet. In any case, the lav must have a vent, and this would have been true no matter what year the house was built.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
One would hope that the stack is supported, but I would never take that for granted. A couple of riser clamps blocked in from above is all that it takes.

If I am understanding your question about the flange, the pipe should bottom out (or be very close to it) in the hub when the cement is applied. If that is the outside fit flange, the riser should come up to about 1/8" from flush with the finished floor.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would stay with the cast iron. If anything shifts a bit during the next 20 years, I would not want the load of the stack placed on a piece of PVC.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The lav, should have had a vent going through the roof.
Otherwise it would be an illegal S trap.

Bringing the lav waste back to a side outlet santee would still not vent it.

Reusing the no-hub clamps should be fine.

Would I remove the santee?
Nope!
I still think there is a vent on the lav above the existing p-trap connection until proven wrong.
One way to see, is to run water down the sink/lav and see if the trap siphons.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We can only believe what you have told us, which is that the sink is not vented.

I would not believe Terry's simple test of running some water into the lavatory because of the potentially low flow of the sink's faucet. You would need to drain a full sink or dump a bucket of water into it, and then check to see if the the trap has siphoned.

If there is not a vent, it might be one of those times that an AAV will have to make do.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The wye downstream of the bend would be correct IF the lav is properly vented. Either way requires the lav to be vented.

Last edited:

Mosh Pit

Reaction score
We can only believe what you have told us, which is that the sink is not vented.

I would not believe Terry's simple test of running some water into the lavatory because of the potentially low flow of the sink's faucet. You would need to drain a full sink or dump a bucket of water into it, and then check to see if the the trap has siphoned.

If there is not a vent, it might be one of those times that an AAV will have to make do.

Thanks I will try this test. Do I basically open the trap and see if its not full of water after draining the full sink?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Yes. If the sink drain is without a stopper, you should me able to shine a light down the trap and see if it is full.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
When the waste exits the P-trap of the sink, and before it starts to go down, there must be a pipe coming off that arm within 42" for the size pipe you are using that goes up to act as the vent. Since it looks like the sink's drain just goes straight down in the wall, there MUST be a vent line going straight up from where it transitions from horizontal to vertical off the trap arm behind the P-trap, or it is an S-trap. Depending on the flow, you may or may not be able to siphon the trap in the sink, so the test is not definitive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks