Hand basin causing goop

Users who are viewing this thread

WellHead

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Hi All,

I added a small toilet en-suite to a bedroom and to save space I decided to use a small hand basin that vented into the toilet tank. This all worked well, but now some months later I notice that the waste water and soap is causing slimy goop to form in the toilet tank.

I am guessing it is from the Nitrogen in the soap causing algae growth.

How can I stop this?

I have a septic system so I am reluctant to use much/any Bleach to try and control it.

The basin is actually an old drinking fountain basin we found at a swap meet for $2. It made for the perfect size.

Thanks

Attachments

• toilet basin.jpg
    toilet basin.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I guess now you know why that design of a sink has NEVER been permitted in the USA. ANYTHING that goes down its drain is going to stay in the toilet tank a long time because it never COMPLETELY empties, so it will get diluted after every flush but some of it will always be around.

WellHead

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks,

I guess we will have to live with it. I actually tried some of the in-tank cleaners which worked, but the white/clear colored ones ate up the rubber seals, even though the packaging said it would not. Momma hates the blued colored ones, so I guess I clean it out occasionally.

WellHead

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but we are using an anti-bacterial liquid soap. I actually thought the "anti-bacterial," might be anti-microbial and prevent the goop. :)

I will clean the tank out and change to a different brand of soap and see if that makes any difference.

Another thought might be to use a hand sanitizer instead of soap, the alcohol-based ones claim a 99.9% kill of all bacteria within 30-seconds. We could still rinse after that, but not use any soap. In fact as I type, I think we will go with that and see.

@hj
"Never" is a strong word. :) Given the 50-States and 50-different sets of plumbing Codes possible, "never" should never be bandied about. In fact as recent as 1989, purpose built small hand basins designed as the water tank lid were available in several States. I personally know they were available in CA as I bought and installed one way back then. That's why I designed the plumbing for this small en suite to use a tank top basin. It was with some surprise and dismay that when I went to purchase the basin, they were no longer easily available.

That's when plan B came into effect and we went looking for one at swap meets. The LOML, found the drinking fountain and we made it work.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; In fact as recent as 1989, purpose built small hand basins designed as the water tank lid were available in several States. I personally know they were available in CA as I bought and installed one way back then.

Ah!, But your are equating "being available" with "being permitted/legal". HD and other stores sell MANY things that are NOT approved. THEY are not responsible if the item is installed improperly, the CUSTOMER is. As far as they are concerned, if they sell it to you and the inspector fails it, all you have to do is return it. Since most customers are NOT getting their installation inspected they have made money on the sale. It is the same with with a lot of their items. They may be "defective" but as long as YOU do not know there is a problem with it and do NOT return it, they, and the manufacturer, have made 100% profit on it, because they did NOT have to throw it in the scrap heap. If you DO return it, they did not lose anything because they would have had to discard it anyway.

WellHead

Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Hhmmmm HJ, Nebulous reasoning at best. Would you care to suggest a product HD caries that is not approved for installation?

I will have my Brother-in-Law check it out with Frank Blake who lives two doors up from him.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hhmmmm HJ, Nebulous reasoning at best. Would you care to suggest a product HD caries that is not approved for installation?

I will have my Brother-in-Law check it out with Frank Blake who lives two doors up from him.

http://www.*********.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
All showers in all codes require an anti-scald shower valve....this one is not. There are lots of examples, if you know the codes.

Well, the site filter won't let the store id , but you can search yourself.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Ah yes, the "mind" of an engineer.

The city of Bellevue plumbing inspectors tried talking to the big box stores about all of the illegal product they sell and were told to go fly a kite.

So what happens, Mr. Engineer, is handymen and homeowners buy their "quality" stuff at big box, buy their plumbing permits and promptly get turned down on the inspection. Pretty funny if it isn't happening to you.
Plumbers know what the code is, and know better.

But then, they don't have the mind of an engineer. We do it right!

If you have ever pulled the drain off of a bathroom lav, you would be amazed at all the goo.
It's not pretty.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks