Gut reno DWV plan

Users who are viewing this thread

itinerant

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm gut renovating a 1400 sf house and am nearing the point where I need to finalize my DWV plan so I can start putting up my wet walls. I was hoping to post some drawings here and get some feedback on passing code inspection and of course functioning properly. Here are three drawings - one of the whole DWV system, one closeup of the first floor (half) bathroom, and one closeup of the second floor bathroom and laundry. The only specific question I have upon posting is whether my second story toilet is vented properly in this drawing. Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Sam
DWVplan1.jpg

DWVfirstfloorbath.jpg

DWVplan1.jpg
DWVfirstfloorbath.jpg
DWVsecondfloorbath.jpg

MKS

Reaction score
Reach4 I believe the trap your seeing maybe for a shower and I believe that shower trap is not vented. I am looking at the last drawing.

itinerant

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think MKS is right, the trap in question is for the shower. Isn't my shower trap close enough to the 3" main vent (about two feet from trap to vent) for it to be vented adequately?

I will add clean outs!

Thanks,
Sam

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think MKS is right, the trap in question is for the shower. Isn't my shower trap close enough to the 3" main vent (about two feet from trap to vent) for it to be vented

Thanks,
Sam

The shower needs its own vent because the way you have drawn it, the slug of water coming from to toilet will siphon the water from the shower's trap.

itinerant

Reaction score
I see, I see. Also, if the distance from that second story toilet trap to the 3" main vent stack is 8 feet, that's too long, right? A toilet can't be more than 6 feet from its vent?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I see, I see. Also, if the distance from that second story toilet trap to the 3" main vent stack is 8 feet, that's too long, right? A toilet can't be more than 6 feet from its vent?

You should find a copy of the plumbing code that is applicable where you live. It will list things like permitted trap to vent distances and many other useful pieces of information.

MKS

Reaction score
Here is a bathroom group wet vent diagram UPC. Your upper toilet maybe vented.
upc_wet_venting_bathrooms.jpg

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Separate topic, but in full gut renovation you have an opportunity window for dramatically upgrading the thermal performance of your house too, with good/better/best approaches, as well as ways to screw it up both on moisture handling and cost. Got that mapped out as well?

itinerant

Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm in NY State (despite what my avatar says), which I believe uses the IPC. According to the table on trap to vent distances, I should be ok with a 3" pipe, even more ok with a 4" pipe. I'm pretty sure I can cram 4" in there, so I think I'm good. Thanks again for the feedback!

Dana, yes indeed, most of the expense of this project so far is going into weatherization - 4" of dense pack cellulose in the walls, plus two 2" layers (4" total) of rigid foam on the outside, with a rain screen gap before the siding. Should be nice and tight (and dry) when I'm done!

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks