I'm Trying Here... Attempt to Get Plumber Design Consult Failing

Users who are viewing this thread

sirbOOmdotcom

Reaction score
I have engaged three plumbers in hopes to have them come and provide a DWV design for my situation (pictured below). I am converting what was once an unnecessarily large closet into a master bathroom. The closet was an area of this old neglected house that clearly was subjected to roof-born water damage for a very long time, and some hack job attempted to repair it. Let's just say I had to gut the room to the dirt (pier/beam over crawl space design). I bought this house to DIY (as much as possible) restore and live in... the movie Money Pit comes to mind, now. Anyway, I picked this room conversion to do first because the bathrooms in this house are HORRIBLE and I want to start out with at least a nice oasis bathroom while the rest of the house is being tended to and it's been a nightmare... but... I've got it all reframed now including new pillars, joists, lots of wall framing, etc. and passed inspection... yay!

Now it's on to determining the layout of this bathroom. Yes, I'm going to do the soaking tub thing...

My issue is that I am converting the attic of this 1 story house later to a living space (the attic is ripe for this). If I vent in the obvious place behind the vanity/WC, then the vent pipe would intrude into a planned living area where a wall would not be ideal. It can be done, but I'd prefer to avoid it.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how I might most efficiently vent the plumbing in this situation. Forgive my art work.

Attachments

• Master Bath Plan.jpg
    Master Bath Plan.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 36

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its a very simple plan . easy job unless you are making ithard somehow . but a bad drawing 3 plumbers ? are they guys that can build or drain guys or some other specialty .

sirbOOmdotcom

Reaction score
Just plumbers I've called that were recommended by neighbors. Not sure what "specialty" they would be. Just bad luck... plus there's so much being built around me they have better things to do, so it's almost understandable.

My drawing is the best of my artistic capability, thank you very much. I will go cry in a corner, now. :p

Reach4

Reaction score
The area is over a crawl space, where the pipes will run?

Wichita-Sedgwick uses UPC and the rest of KS uses IPC plumbing code it would appear.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It just makes it hard to advize. Maybe your plumbers werent good enough or just not good at drawing repair guys possibly. but I think youll get better help with a better drawing , Just not enough info for answers

sirbOOmdotcom

Reaction score
The area is over a crawl space, where the pipes will run?

Wichita-Sedgwick uses UPC and the rest of KS uses IPC plumbing code it would appear.

Yes, over a crawl space with ~3' of room below the 2x8s. Not worried about space for the poop pipes... that's easy. It's the venting.

sirbOOmdotcom

Reaction score
It just makes it hard to advize. Maybe your plumbers werent good enough or just not good at drawing repair guys possibly. but I think youll get better help with a better drawing , Just not enough info for answers

They just didn't show for the appointments for a paid consult so. I want to know where to create the chase(s) for vent pipes if needed or if they can wet vent around doing so - particularly if I have to fur out a wall - so when they come... bada bing, bada boom. I have to plan a bathroom design around any wall adjustments to maximize space. At this point, I will probably build a "linen closet" type cabinet to the left of the toilet or left of the vanity, moving it right a smidge, and use a chase behind it to run a vent up that wall and tie it into the main stack I'm moving to clear the attic area for conversion (currently the vent stack goes through the middle of the attic right where open living space would be so I'm moving that to the rear of the house). What I specifically don't want to do is build a wall between the tub and the shower -- the shower will be glass enclosed, not an alcove.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
which walls are ok to bring a vent up? maybe bring vent up into joist bay of attic then shoot down to a perpendicular wall and up. I notice the tub drain is in center and shower drain is on the end . more often shower drains are centered and tubs have thier drain on the end. You mentioned baloon framed but there is a beam hacked that was a floor beam or? I was thinking the beam was above the bathroom. vent can come up the end walls of tub and shower
The guys probebly make some decent money plumbing not unsusual to make a couple hundred an hour off repair work and probebly figure someone wont pay that for thier advice time. Small one man shop might be reasonable but also might lack skill to draw it up good .

Reach4

Reaction score
UPC or IPC? It may make a difference.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a pretty simple layout and piping. You can I just Google horizontal wet vent layout.

For the vent piping for this bathroom. You just need a 2" pipe to exist the roof. Once your in the ceiling of the first floor it can go out anywhere.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think he is puzzled by structural constraints, beams that cant or dosent want to notch and no walls on the floor above

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks