Grohe Slip fit tub spout not flush against wall - should I trim pipe or just silicone around base?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Nikita, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Nikita

Nikita New Member

I just replaced a slip-fit tub spout with another model of approximately the same exterior length (see diagram). The new spout does not sit flush against the wall (see photo).

I wonder if:
    1. it could be because the pipe is protruding too much and I should trim it (to what length). Currently it's about 2" out of the wall (no photo available)
    2. OR that's 'normal' and I should just seal the base with some silicone and be done with it?
    What do you think?

[​IMG]
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Did you happen to read the directions that came with it?
  3. Nikita

Nikita New Member

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I think you are saying that you have a set screw. Have you tried to loosen the set screw, and push the faucet toward the wall?

If so, cut/grind enough off of the end of the pipe to close the gap. That would be your #1.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Either the spout goes to the wall or it doesn't.
    It may be that the copper tube is too long, but normally I would think that 2" would be fine for that.
    We caulk the spout regardless. You don't want water getting past.

[​IMG]

Not a good picture, but you get the idea.
    The plastic part comes installed to the spout. I removed the inner part to get a good look at it, and to wrap some tape around the threads at the end. It was leaking at that point.

[​IMG]

Just so you know, I like the Delta tub spout replacement much better than Grohe.

The Grohe is made by Danco.
    You can pick up the Danco version for $16 and I don't like those either.

http://www.danco.com/Products/Tub-a...NIVERSAL-TUB-SPOUT-WITH-DIVERTER-CHROME-88703

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  6. Nikita

Nikita New Member

@Terry, huh, didn't realize Grohe outsourced their manufacture to other companies. Is that the case for all of their products or just this particular one?

Also, I cut the pipe by about 0.25", and the gap at the base decreased by about 50%. So still not flush but better.

Thanks, @Terry and @Reach4 for your help.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IT is not "normal", but 2" should not be too much. Trim a 1/2" off and see how it fits.
  8. Nikita

Nikita New Member

Thanks, @hj, I was happy enough with results I got from trimming 0.25" (see above). All done here.
  9. Nikita

Nikita New Member

Looks like I declared victory a bit too early. Just noticed a faint but steady stream of water oozing out from the base of the spout when the (spout, not shower) water's on. I sealed the circumference of the base save the very bottom part, right by the hex setscrew. That's where the stream appears to be originating.

When I was installing the spout, I put some plumber's grease on the pipe but did not wrap tape around the pipe. I am guessing there is no complete seal inside the spout where the pipe meets the spout's plastic. Can I fix this somehow, or should I just return the spout?