Grohe Slip fit tub spout not flush against wall - should I trim pipe or just silicone around base?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nikita

Reaction score
I just replaced a slip-fit tub spout with another model of approximately the same exterior length (see diagram). The new spout does not sit flush against the wall (see photo).

I wonder if:
  1. it could be because the pipe is protruding too much and I should trim it (to what length). Currently it's about 2" out of the wall (no photo available)
  2. OR that's 'normal' and I should just seal the base with some silicone and be done with it?
What do you think?

IMAG0928.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that you have a set screw. Have you tried to loosen the set screw, and push the faucet toward the wall?

If so, cut/grind enough off of the end of the pipe to close the gap. That would be your #1.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Either the spout goes to the wall or it doesn't.
It may be that the copper tube is too long, but normally I would think that 2" would be fine for that.
We caulk the spout regardless. You don't want water getting past.

grohe.13.611.b.jpg

Not a good picture, but you get the idea.
The plastic part comes installed to the spout. I removed the inner part to get a good look at it, and to wrap some tape around the threads at the end. It was leaking at that point.

grohe.13.611.c.jpg

Just so you know, I like the Delta tub spout replacement much better than Grohe.

The Grohe is made by Danco.
You can pick up the Danco version for $16 and I don't like those either.

http://www.danco.com/Products/Tub-a...NIVERSAL-TUB-SPOUT-WITH-DIVERTER-CHROME-88703

danco_tub_spout.jpg

Last edited:

Nikita

Reaction score
@Terry, huh, didn't realize Grohe outsourced their manufacture to other companies. Is that the case for all of their products or just this particular one?

Also, I cut the pipe by about 0.25", and the gap at the base decreased by about 50%. So still not flush but better.

Thanks, @Terry and @Reach4 for your help.

Nikita

Reaction score
IT is not "normal", but 2" should not be too much. Trim a 1/2" off and see how it fits.
Thanks, @hj, I was happy enough with results I got from trimming 0.25" (see above). All done here.

Nikita

Reaction score
Looks like I declared victory a bit too early. Just noticed a faint but steady stream of water oozing out from the base of the spout when the (spout, not shower) water's on. I sealed the circumference of the base save the very bottom part, right by the hex setscrew. That's where the stream appears to be originating.

When I was installing the spout, I put some plumber's grease on the pipe but did not wrap tape around the pipe. I am guessing there is no complete seal inside the spout where the pipe meets the spout's plastic. Can I fix this somehow, or should I just return the spout?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks