Glacier Bay Dual Flush Toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by johnh5733, Jun 15, 2010.

1. johnh5733

johnh5733 New Member

I recently bought a glacier bay dual flush toilet and the instructions that came with it are very vague. Can you tell me how the flush buttons work?

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Glacier Bay is a box brand for almost anything.

It's like asking what cow the milk came from.
    Good luck on that.
    And good luck if you need parts. Big box doesn't carry parts, and as you have noticed, no documentation either.
  3. Dr. Jose

Dr. Jose New Member

you failed!

Why didn't you answer the question?
    She wanted to know the difference between the two buttons' functions.
    You simply returned with prejudicial discourse on "big boxes."
    You either (a) didn't really know the answer
    (b) just wanted to show your lack of preference for this product
    (c) don't really care
    Anyway, you failed the test.
    You can take a make-up any time.
    And I think you know the question.
    All you have to do is find the answer and be OBJECTIVE.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

That brand is a house brand name, and could be made by anyone they choose to build for them at that time...IOW, it changes on their whim and supplier. Typically, one button is used to flush liquids only, and the other for solids. Which one should become obvious when you do a trial and error, and probably has some cryptic symbol on it to try to distinquish which is which. The instructions SHOULD tell you. Hard to tell...is this Wedensday, them maybe???
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Testy!

Glacier Bay is made in China for Foremost Groups, and is the Home Depot label. You may find your model on the foremost group website. There are different ways of achieving the dual flush. And you could only tell by looking at the specs for YOUR model, or actually looking inside. The simplest mechanism just holds the flapper open for a longer or shorter time. Many toilets today use some sort of "space age" flush tower. They are all different.
  6. Dr. Jose

Dr. Jose New Member

And the answer is

According to Thomas Crapper, the inventor of the mechanical toilet, the answer is:
    Large button for "one", small button for "two."
    Or, according to my Fifth Grader, "Blue for poo."
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If Home Depot isn't going to carry parts for their orphans, then why should I care? As plumbers, we get tired of dealing with the lack of quality and the lack of parts for some of these products. Like Jimbo mentioned in a prior post about house brand faucets, Buy two, one to use, and one for parts.
    I thought that was brilliant!

I can objectively say, "I wish they carried parts."
    I think anyone that has ever bought a house brand something wishes that.

Most other dual flush toilets use small button for small flush and large button for large flush.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  8. Bruce Knight

Bruce Knight New Member

On my Glacier Bay dual flush toilets, you push the handle towards the back wall for a part flush and pull it towards you for a full flush - handle is on the left hand side like "regular" toilets, but points down so it can move backwards or forward.
  9. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You have definitely noticed a prejudice against crap ( No offense to Thomas!) made in China, and recent studies by the government have noticed that some us companies are starting to bring their products back on shore, for the reason that the quality issues are biting them in the butt, and to add insult to injury, wages in china are going up!
  10. magnerash

magnerash New Member

small button = small flush

I'm sorry but you're mistaken. Here is a link to a .pdf of the instruction manual.
    http://www.*********.com/catalog/pd...dd9f2d2128d9.pdf?cm_mmc=seo|altruik|100676582
    small button = small flush.

It may seem counterintuitive that it pushes down both buttons. But apparently there is a mechanism that accounts for that and disables the large flush.