Free standing basin style bathtub with no access to connect drain tail pipe trap

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by dintraligi, Mar 29, 2013.

1. dintraligi

dintraligi New Member

Hello.

I've found many answers from this forum over the years so my thanks to all posters. This is my first time posting a question.

I'm installing a free standing basin style bathtub. The abs drain/trap has been roughed in. The bathroom floor is finished/tiled and the room below the bathroom has a decorative ceiling and I was asked not to cut an access through it. Therefore, once the tub is in place there is no access to connect the drain (no access to tighten the trap adapter). Are there trap adapters that are friction fit using o-rings vs the common compression fit screw to tighten?

Thanks in advanced
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You use a solvent weld trap and glue it up as you roll the tub into place. This is why you have to make sure everything is right the first time, because it's a one-shot deal.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  3. OS&B

OS&B New Member

You can use the OS&B drain kit ITD35 at the rough in stage a little late for this contractor
  4. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

Are you OS&B the company? Your new drain kit does it work with the lighter tubs and anti tip brackets? I posted this on the other thread you have going.

[​IMG]

This looks like a Kick Ass idea. I hate screwing around with these free standing tubs.

How does this work with any Anti Tip Brackets.... I can not imagine it's possible to use both? What tub are you using? This might work for a heavy cast iron tub but the lighter tubs all require anti tip brackets.

Careful here..... Sometimes too good to be true is too good to be true. I wrote this article for Houzz a couple years back - Dreaming of a Spa Tub at Home? Read This Pro Advice First

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like an O-Ring seal hey Terry. Brass tail pieces slips inside. Compression Nut has room below tub... Pretty slick.

I bet I could Jerry Rig an off cut of 4" PVC or ABS and use some Noble Sealant 150 and a little scrap of NobleSeal TS to make a flashing detail for a barrier free European Wet Room install. Maybe I can get OS&B to send me one for product testing....

Could you send me on to play with? I'll let you know what I figure out...

My Shipping address:

John Whipple
    506 1075 Marine Drive
    North Vancouver BC V7P 3T6
    Canada

604 506-6792
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Most of the tubs I install have the drain below the floor. I normally cut a 8" x 12" cutout in the flooring.
    The tub waste and overflow comes up through that, and then I drop the tub down on it.

[​IMG]

ABS trap below

[​IMG]

Not free standing here.

[​IMG]

Installed from above.
  6. johnfrwhipple

Prep Work for our last Kohler Cast Iron Soaker

[​IMG]

I hate those Kohler overflows. Leaked the first time we did an overflow test. Re Set it with a little silicone (sorry Jim) and then it passed the test.
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Yes, those Kohler overflows have been tricky to seal.
    They use those on some of their acrylic tubs too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. johnfrwhipple

Flood Test Requirements for Wet Room

This flood test was a bitch since the tub was sitting in the shower. Had to rig up some custom flashings here to pull off the flood test.

[​IMG]