Franklin Control Box

Users who are viewing this thread

amkazen

Reaction score
Hi,
My well pump will not stay pumping for much more than 10 seconds to maybe 3 minutes.
I had a well company clean my 3,000 cistern today. Pump worked perfect before this issue. I turned off the well pump breaker sometime in the last 1 - 2 weeks to allow our water usage to to drain the cistern.

Are the overloads bad?
The control box is 19 years old.
The well is 525' deep. The water level is about 160'. The well pump is about 350 feet.
The submersible pump is 6 yrs old.
The Franklin control box is a 2 hp.
I checked the ohms on the overloads and they drop to less than 0.5
I have 230v -238v at the pressure pump; at the L1 & L2 terminals.

Everything went well cleaning and the well guys turned everything back on, and water started filling the cistern. They left and a few minutes later the pump quit. Hmmm...I went into the mechanical room where the pressure thank and control box is and discovered the overloads were tripped. I reset them, although there is no defined click to say they reset. But, I can get the pump to start pumping. Sometimes it pumps for 10 seconds, sometimes for 3 minutes, and then it shuts off again. I do not hear a click when it stops. This has been going on for the past 3.5 hours. I hardly have any water in the cistern.

I initially thought perhaps the pressure thank was calling for water as it is only at 10 psi.

I also thought perhaps the submersible tank was trying to push water into the house because the well guy had left an outside spigot open while filling the well to help remove air from the water lines. I closed the spigot.

I thought perhaps the submersible pump in the cistern is causing an issue so I unplugged it and then turned off it's breaker.

We have lifted the float in the cistern up and held it upside down; sideways, let it hang....

Nothing is working

I called the pump company ASAP , about 5:45 pm. No answer. I have left two voice messages..no answer - I guess they really do not have emergency service as they advertise

I filled out their on-line web app.

I sent an email

I tracked the name of the owners down via the web..sent FB messages
I got a response from the wife...said I would be called..no response in 1 hr 45 minutes

I just need to know what the possible cause is...
I just need a phone call "hi, it might be this or it might be that. Try this. We can come out tonight. We can come out tomorrow if you can wait (yes, we can)..."

Is it possibly my well pump?

Is it possibly the control box?

Would not having run the well pump for 1 - 2 weeks caused this?

Is it possible my well is dry and the pump is overheating?

Is there something else I could disconnect to see if it helps?

Is the well pump not designed to run continuously to fill up 3,000 galls? Heck, it will not run continuously for much more than 10 minutes. I forget what my flow rate is.

All I need is a phone call to give me some ideas.

Just a phone call..... :( :(

If any of you have ideas or can say forget, doe snot matter if it is fixed tonight or tomorrow...tomorrow go buy this, try this, do that.. I guess I could call another company but man, these guys were just here...they did the work. Always had good luck with them ..they in fact got my well system working great and improved from he initial install done by the well driller in 2001. But, emergency service?? hah!

Thanks for reading my whining.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you are having to punch the reset button to get it to come back on, it is drawing too many amps. If it is running for up to 3 minutes before it shuts off, it is not the control box. Are you pumping the well dry? Do you have a Dry Well relay in or by the control box. The pump won't run dry for very long before it trips the overloads.

Reach4

Reaction score
I checked the ohms on the overloads and they drop to less than 0.5
What does that mean? Are you referring to the resistance across the overload breaker when the pump power breaker or switch is off?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks