flexible pipe at WH

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by 68malibu383, Jun 4, 2012.

1. 68malibu383

68malibu383 New Member

I can't locate my list of approved piping materials that connect to the inlet/outlet on the water heater but I don't think this one (photo) makes the cut. Please advise.

Attached Files:

2. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

Why not? There must be hundreds of thousands of stainless steel flex connectors installed on water heaters already. Perfectly legal anywhere I know of, as
    long as they are NSF approved.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some places require flexible connections, some places require rigid connections, some places allow either as long as they are rated for this use. Places subject to earthquakes generally require a flexible connection and straps to hold it to the wall.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I like the stainless flex connectors. I also use copper.
    You don't use tape on the threads though. They come with rubber washers on the ends.

Some people use tape in the most useless places. The sealing takes place at the end of the pipe where the rubber washer is, not on the threads.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

That is an "approved" material, although it could have been installed a lot more neatly than that. I do not use stainless, but rather use the copper flexible lines, but is is strictly a personal preference.
  6. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Yes you are right Terry,
    but the plumbers tape doe's make the nut easier to tighten onto the nipples,
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  7. kreemoweet

kreemoweet New Member

My experience is the exact opposite, tape in inappropriate places makes for more difficulty. Those nuts are not supposed to be made god-awful tight anyway, all you need to
    do is compress the rubber sealing washer, very similar to a garden hose connection. If you torque down on those nuts, you are probably damaging the seal.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  8. hj

It does NOTHING to help or hinder the connection, unless you put so many wraps of tape, that the nut is too snug.
  9. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

WOW That sure is a hacked Job ! I use nothing but copper flexes. Plumb. and appropriate length ! Also our code requires 2 earth quake straps with 3/8" leg bolts.
    I install a lot of California earthquake shut off valves. 5.2or greater E.Q. and and it shuts off gas.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  10. hj

YOU MUST use earthquake straps. It is a side benefit of living in CA. In most other areas it is not a requirement, or even a need.
  11. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The only things I would have done differently is to change the length of the intake pipe so that a short flexpipe could have been used and the sharp bends avoided. I will say that at least the bends look like they were carefully made so they are not kinked, but shorter flex would have been easier as well as neater looking. You also have to abide by local and state codes on straps, shut off valve, etc.. California is very strict on those things, other places not so.