Fixtures for cabin with no heat

Users who are viewing this thread

gvladybug

Reaction score
We want to remodel the bathroom in our cabin at 8600 ft elevation in Colorado.
In the winter we winterize the plumbing and shut off the heat.
We shutoff the water, shut off electricity at the breakers, drain the hot water heater, put RV antifreeze in the traps of the shower, toilet tank/bowl, sinks and washer machine. We also blow air through the lines to push any water in the lines out to the drain at the lowest level of the cabin.

When we remodel the bathroom I want to get new fixtures and for the shower I am considering this
https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/T17264-RB-I

It is a Delta In2ition with a 69" shower hose, so we can have a shower head and hand shower separately or together. My concern is the hose -- how would I winterize the hose or would I have to?

Should I forgo any type of hand held shower due to winterization issues with the hose?

Thanks in advance!!

Diana

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It looks like the hose just screws onto the shower arm. I'd probably remove the hose, and open the valve when draining the system.

Your best answer on that specific valve might be to call Delta.

gvladybug

Reaction score
Thanks! I totally didn't think of just unscrewing the hose and leaving it dangling down to the drain. Sometimes it is the simplest things -- and I'm an over-thinker!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will still have water down to the shower valve that never drains. You may want to have a tub spout with diverter that allows you do drain down the vertical pipe.

gvladybug

Reaction score
Terry - that means I would put a tub spout down low to the shower floor so I could drain the water from the pipe to the valve -- correct?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And would opening the shower and blowing air through the lines solve the water down to the shower valve?

I'm not sure. One my customers had a shower on an outside wall that froze every year. Finally we installed a hot and cold frost free hosebib there for washing the dog.
I wanted to put a tub spout on that one, but she wanted a hose connection with shutoff so I was never able to determine if it had been drained down right.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I think if the valve was opened when draining the system the riser would drain. As I said earlier, I'd call Delta. It may be a waste of time, but still worth getting their opinion. The hose itself is the easy part.

If you're remodeling, adding a tub spout has other uses...it lets you get the temp just right before you activate the shower, and gives you an easy way to fill a bucket if you ever want to wash the floor, car, windows, or maybe the dog.

gvladybug

Reaction score
Thanks I did call Delta - they were helpful in the fact that I could remove the hose, but not very helpful in the fact they recommended removing the valve for winterization. That seems extreme as we don't have to do it now using an 1980s Delta shower faucet.
We are going to gut the bathroom and remodel -- so I will discuss getting one with a tub spout and just putting it down low in the shower (but not too low).

Thanks so much all!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It's possible that in their design, it could trap water inside of the cartridge. Since that's a moderately expensive bit, you'd want to avoid that. FWIW, especially if you do it every season change, actually pulling the cartridge isn't tough. When they've been in there for a decade, it can be a bit tougher!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks