Exterior Water Valve for winter use

Users who are viewing this thread

Ahardy105

Reaction score
I have an 1895 Miner's Cabin at high elevation. The service line freezes without fail any time the temps drop below 20 degrees. We are on municipal water that is NOT metered. Last winter I had to let the bathroom faucet drip all winter to keep the lines from freezing. This is not good for the septic system. I have an exterior hose bib that I am considering running at a small flow all winter to keep the water from freezing. What is the best valve to use for this application?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Is there any electrical power?

Not sure if there is such a thing. What I would do is somewhere inside the home replace the pipe with PEX that runs to the spigot. Should any freezing the PEX will give more than a ridge pipe. For a spigot, use a plastic one. My idea on this is plastic does not conduct heat as well as a a brass one. A brass spigot can suck the heat right out of the water as it is freezing temps outside.

Another approach is install a spigot inside the home and run a garden hose outside. If the garden hose freezes, it won't split open.

However, your original solution, run the water at the bathroom sink is about the best. Anything going outside subject to freezing can freeze no matter what you might try.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Air is difficult to freeze. Any building that can't be conditioned and is expected to freeze should be winterized by at minimum cutting the supply of water and draining the pressure and ideally the water blown from the water lines to evacuate the water.

When we install plumbing for exterior kitchen spaces, they are all designed to have the water drained from them each fall.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score

On Amazon search;​

Freeze Miser 2 Pack - Outdoor Faucet Freeze Protection | Durable Replacement for Faucet Covers for Winter​

Saw this on a Facebook ad. You place it on a spigot and open the faucet. As it nears freezing a wax component solidifies and shrinks allowing water to trickle out. As it warms the wax expands and stops water flow.