Fitting over dented pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by SuprDavd, Aug 21, 2013.

1. SuprDavd

SuprDavd New Member

I need to put an elbow on this 3/4" copper pipe coming out of the concrete slab. It has a pretty good size dent in it. is there a way to straighten it enough to get the elbow to slide over it? If i cut it and can't straighten it, digging down into the slab may damage it further.

Also, I did a preview and the pic is sideways, even tho the original is not. Not sure how that happened.

photo-2.jpg
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

fitting to pipe tolerance is very small. I know of no way you can remove that dent and make a good connection. Time for a hammer and chisel. You might want to consider renting a small rotary hammer, it would be easier and quicker than the hammer/chisel method. You have to get not only deep enough to get below the dent, but wide enough to use a tubing cutter. I think the job sounds worse than it really is.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That's a pretty good sized dent or crimp.
    If you plan to put a coupling or 90 fitting on the pipe, it's not going to be over the dent.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A combination of a male and female "resizing" tools will straighten it out to the original configuration. The male first to push the dent straight and the the female one to restore the original o.d. BUT, you have to cut the tubing first since they only work on the end of the tubing.
  5. SuprDavd

SuprDavd New Member

After determining the setting of the cabinets there was just enough room to cut the pipe above the dent. That, and not screwing up cutting the pipe, allowed for a successful install. Lucked out on this one. Thank you for your advice and help. This is a great site.