Connecting a 4" cast iron pipe cut flush with concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

Marzec

Reaction score
I am rehabbing one of my apartments that sits above a garage and I have a situation where the a 4" cast iron soil stack in a garage has been cut flush with the concrete floor. The stack was already broken at garage floor level and therefore needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, since it was broken at floor level there was no way to leave even an inch or two of it above the floor for a shielded rubber coupler. I am familiar with the rubber bushings that fit into a cast iron hub to make an easy transition to PVC, but I am unaware of anything available that is made to fit directly into a 4" cast iron pipe to make this transition.

My question is, is there is anything that exists for this situation to transition to 3" PVC or is the best practice to bust out enough concrete to use rubber coupler that can at least be partially buried? I don't have a photo of it at the moment, but basically just imagine a 4" cast iron pipe cut flush with a concrete floor.

I read about a similar situation on this forum where someone suggested the possibility of using a closet flange with the rubber gasket made to go into 4" pipe, but that sounds hacky and not something that will hold up over time. I think the person ended up digging it out anyway.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
chip down into slab a few inches put a mission cp 44 band short piece of plastic pipe then glue a 4 inch clean out on then glue a 4x3 bushing in the top of the clean out connect to your 3 inch . Id put the clean out in but you can skip that step I wouldnt though

Marzec

Reaction score
chip down into slab a few inches put a mission cp 44 band short piece of plastic pipe then glue a 4 inch clean out on then glue a 4x3 bushing in the top of the clean out connect to your 3 inch . Id put the clean out in but you can skip that step I wouldnt though
Sounds like great advice. Thanks!

Not sure if the plumbing supply house I go to carries Mission, but I assume any quality shielded stainless steel band for CI to PVC should work. And yeah, I will install a cleanout.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
other brands are fine like fernco , Sounds like you are aware of the proper type band.
I would be careful chipping out concrete not to damage the cast iron maybe drill holes a few inches away first varound the pipe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks