Finding the right tub help?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by bowlbug, Apr 11, 2010.

1. bowlbug

bowlbug New Member

There has to be someone out there that knows about bathtubs. I HAVE to redo the bathroom in a house that was built in the 50s. The tub I have now is 60†x 30†x 14†and holds only 9†of water. Here are the problems I am running into.
    With three teenage daughters they all want deeper water. 11â€plus has been requested.
    I can not go wider 30â€.
    A sales rep has convinced my cast iron is the way to go because 90% of we shower, cast is more stable.
    Last I don’t have 2K to spend on a tub.
    There has to be simple answer to this that I can’t find. The internet is driving me crazy looking for the answer for weeks now. So as a last resort I thought I would ask here. There has to be a good plumber that has dealt with this before.
    Thank you.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You are dealing with a "reality" here. 30" x 14" high are are a "standard" in tract homes, (before the 60's they were 28" wide but FHA changed its minimum size then.) When you go to 16" high tubs, then you are into a higher level structure and they are always 32" wide. There is almost ZERO demand for a 30"x16" tub, although you might find a specialty manufacturer making a 30"x16" tub, but it will usually be fiberglass or acrylic.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

4. bowlbug

bowlbug New Member

32" has to be the last resort. I just don't have the room without moving a wall. The info the sale rep give about acrylic and fiberglass not being a good idea, is this true? I have found so much contradictory info on the pros and cons of all 3 materials. I have to admit a wood box with a plastic liner is starting to look like a good idea. LOL
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you want deep, then go for the acrylic.

Even cast iron tubs show wear after a while.
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The tub manufacturers publish the depth to overflow, which is the spec you are interested in.

I'm really surprised your kids use the tub- I see a lot of homes now with no tub at all.
  7. bowlbug

bowlbug New Member

There all girls. They LIVE in the bathroom. Thats why I live in the garage.
  8. Agu

Agu New Member

I had the same issue. After spending hours looking for a "soaker tub" I found it was cheaper to buy a whirlpool tub on sale. To adjust for the 32" tub I cut out the 2X4's and put in a header so the 32" tub fit a 30" opening. If it's not a load bearing wall ( mine wasn't) it's any easy fix.
  9. bowlbug

bowlbug New Member

Thats would look good. Mine is a load bearing wall. I found a place in fremont, ca that can order something for us. At $1000 for a tub the and i going down to see what he has in mind.
  10. bowlbug

bowlbug New Member

I have finally found a tub for a resonable price. $531 + tax. It a Maax Modest 60" x 30" x 18" She will hold a little over 12" of water before the over flow. Just thought I would pass on the info for the next person that has the same Question.