Farmhouse Kitchen sink rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Bryan Klinginsmith

Reaction score
I am installing the rough in plumbing for a farmhouse kitchen sink with one center drain that will have a garbage disposal. This is remodel, but the kitchen sink has moved, so drywall is off and everything will be new.

Questions I have are:
1. Is height 14 - 16 inches from floor OK for farmhouse sink with 10" deep bowl.
2. With one center drain with garbage disposal, should the drain line be offset from center line of sink. If so how much?
3. Should drain line be straight out from wall (perpendicular), or at a slight angle? I have always done straight on lavatories but have seen pictures on line where the line is at an angle toward the center of the sink.
4. The drain line will be 2" with 1.5" vent, but is the line out of the wall from sanitary tee 1.5" or 2"?
5. The sink is under a window so vent line runs horizontal slightly below the countertop height before turning vertical. Approximately 5 feet away. This is how it was originally when the house was built. Is this OK?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1. 14-16 inches if fine for a 10" sink
2. I normally offset for a single sink disposer. For most disposers a 5" offset would be nice.
3. I would plumb straight out unless you are right behind the disposer and then my first choice would be offset and lastly angled.
4. It takes a 1.5" p-trap and trap arm. The vent can also be 1.5" with 2" going down.
5. The vent will do.

Bryan Klinginsmith

Reaction score
Thank you for the input.

I did forget one question, The dishwasher drain that I took out looped up to the bottom of the counter top and back down to the garbage disposal. I see some people talking about vents in the dishwasher drain line. Am I required to vent this line or is the loop adequate?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
sink_dw.jpg

Either the high loop or an air gap.
Most inspectors like to see the air gap, though some dishwashers like Bosch have a hard time with them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks