Drain on main shutoff valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fraser Jim

Reaction score
I am moving the main shutoff valve and the guy at Home Depot says that I need to have a drain, per code, on the new one.

Does this sound right?

Using a ball valve. Is there any politically correct side or direction for the handle to be facing?

I.e. facing the pipe, handle lines up on the right side of the pipe facing up when open.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If EITHER of his suggestions were true, then I have done THOUSANDS, probably tens of thousands, incorrectly. Use Home Depot aisle guy's advice when you want to know the correct nail, NOT when you have a plumbing question.

ckl111

Home Builder
Reaction score
I really depends on your municipality. A stop and waste valve is required around here and the inspectors look for it. It hardly adds anything to the cost of the valve. I never seen the use for the waste port on the main line though. For a hose bibb sure but it would take hours to drain the house lines through the port on the main shut off.

A stop and waste valve will have an arrow showing the direction of the flow of water. Don't install it backwards or the waste port will be useless. Also try to install with the drain port facing down or at least sideways so the most amount of water will drain from it.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
For a hose bibb sure but it would take hours to drain the house lines through the port on the main shut off...

Most folk would open every faucet in the house as well as outside so would not "drain the house lines through the port on the main shut off".

My entire plumbing is pitched to drain and I have strategically placed drains so that I could drain the entire system. Whether it is code or common sense is for you to decide.

ckl111

Home Builder
Reaction score
Most folk would open every faucet in the house as well as outside so would not "drain the house lines through the port on the main shut off".
My point was that the drain port at the main valve has little value. To drain the system, you would open up the closest faucet to the shut off and not bother with the drain port.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
the guy at Home Depot says that I need to have a drain

Normally a main water shutoff does not have a drain. I've never seen a plumbing code that required one.

A ball valve can be placed in any position. Unlike some types, it's just a straight pass through of the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks