Double wye used for double vanity

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by xr4ti, Aug 5, 2013.

1. xr4ti

xr4ti New Member

Hello everyone -

I've been visiting my new home daily as construction progresses, and the rough plumbing started last week. I noticed that they have used double wye's in the upstairs bathrooms, both slated for double vanities. I have seen and used the double fixture fitting in past projects, so I am wondering if there is any difference here? Thanks.

[​IMG]
  2. asktom

asktom Member

It should be a double fixture fitting. A double wye creates a double S trap. A double fixture fitting is made so that air in the trap arm meets the stack before the drain drops down so that a siphon cannot be created. If the trap siphons it breaks the trap seal and there is nothing between your nose and whatever gas is in the sewer. An exhaust fan in the bathroom makes the situation worse.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Doulbe Ys and 45s create "3/4 S traps" which are just as bad, and illegal, as full "S" traps. The ONLY fitting you should use is the back to back one, and NOT a sanitary cross either. A "plumber" who makes an installation like that has no concept of plumbing hydraulics and should go back to school for a season or two, if he ever went to school.
  4. xr4ti

xr4ti New Member

Thanks for the input, glad I asked here.

I'll bring this up with my builder tomorrow. Rough inspection is next week and I'm not confident they will flag the fittings.

Here's another pic. Looks like it's been bouncing around in the bottom of a DWV bin and they finally found a place to dump it. My house!

Attached Files:

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

When you combine two lavs, it requires a 2" drain.
    It should have been a 2.0" x 1.5" x 1.5" x 1.5" double fixture fitting.

So not only is it the wrong fitting, it's also undersized.
  6. Hammerlane

Hammerlane New Member

Kind of resembles this:

Attached Files:

7. Hammerlane

Hammerlane New Member

A few more

Attached Files:

8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

ON my screen it looks like a 2" riser with 1 1/2" arms. IF so, it is just the wrong fitting.