Detecting underground water line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassadict69

Reaction score
Over the years growing up in this house, I know of two different wells, neither of which are being used because of a community water system coming in and Dad switched over to it so there is no telling where the supply line comes in. Now, I am needing to determine where the main supply coming into the house runs.

The back corner of my house is a utility room and the hot water heater sits in the outside corner of that room. There is a wet spot in my yard at that corner so I have a leak somewhere. I have dug some hoping to find a supply line leaking at a point I can get to , but I have not even located a line. The hole I dug holds water and fills back up shortly after I empty it so I do know there is a leak there somewhere.

What is best way to find the supply line and where it comes into the house?
What options do I have if my leak is under the slab as it appears it is?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are outfits that can locate pipes. Sometimes they disconnect one side, fill it with a gas and then use a device to detect it.

I sometimes will take a metal coat hanger and make two els from the wire and use those to witch for the line.
I'm sure someone will now post that the method doesn't work.
But they should at least try it sometime before discounting what works for others.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
There are outfits that can locate pipes. Sometimes they disconnect one side, fill it with a gas and then use a device to detect it.

I sometimes will take a metal coat hanger and make two els from the wire and use those to witch for the line.
I'm sure someone will now post that the method doesn't work.
But they should at least try it sometime before discounting what works for others.
It worked for me the last time I did it (about 35 years ago).

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use 3 tools to find buried wells and or follow water lines

1) Shoenstadt locator, it detects ferrous metals like well casing, corrugated steel well tiles etc

2) Fisher TW-6 wire tracer, if you have poly pipe break the fittings apart and slide an electricians snake out and follow directions with the instrument

3) My mini excavator

All three are available at a good contractors rental place

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would think that in LA the pipe is only about 2 feet below grade. Where i am, more often than not the pipe is a straight shot from the house to the municipal shut-off at the street. If is is galvanized pipe coming into the house, you might try following it out with a metal detector.

Bassadict69

Reaction score
Luckily, I found my leak just outside the slab, just before they main supply line disappeared under the slab. I was able to fix it really easy!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks