CSV for well

Users who are viewing this thread

Trevor Feaster

Reaction score
I now know I want a CSV but have one issue to over come. My well is drilled across my driveway so that means the 1" water line is buried under the drive and right past drive I have a yard hydrant. The water line continues another 10' to a underground vault where my tank and switch lives. The water line continues under ground from the vault to the house. What this means is the yard hydrant is between the well and vault. I want to be able to install the CSV myself to save money since the well was very expensive (565' deep). I know the best option would be to install a CSV in the well head since I have that yard hydrant in the middle and that is NOT going to be done by me with out my well guy. My question is can I install a CSV in the vault to service the house (well pump is getting the most use) and leave the yard hydrant to operate as it always has (on/off 40-60 psi)? I know the system works differently with a CSV but would like to keep my yard hydrant and keep it a do it myself job without digging up ground or pulling a pump with a well professional.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes you can use thr hydrant before the CSV. But the pump will still cycle on/off when using that hydrant.

Need to make sure the pump doesn't build more pressure than the CSV can handle since it is such a deep well.

Model of the pump and depth to static water level is needed to figure that.

Trevor Feaster

Reaction score
The pump is a 10gpm Pentair. The day of well drilling the water level was at 200ft and when the pump was set a few days later the water level went to 300ft (don't know why that happened). The pump had to be set at the 400ft level. By what I was told that was the max for the 10gpm Pentair. I am not sure of the current static level. Everything runs great and I want to keep it that way with a CSV.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
OK a 1.5HP, 10 GPM pump can lift from 570' which is the same as 246 PSI. So if the water level in the well was only 1" deep, the pipe and all fittings prior to the CSV would see 246 PSI. But if the static level is 300' deep, then that will burn up 129 PSI before the water reaches the top, and the pipe and fittings prior to the CSV1A would only be 116 PSI. Even if the static level is 200', there would only be 159 PSI backpressure from the CSV. If that is the case you can install the CSV1A in the vault. But then you would not want to use the hydrant that is prior to the CSV unless you set it up to use all the water the pump can supply to eliminate cycling, or use it just to fill a dog water bowl or something small.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks