Critique this drain mockup please

Users who are viewing this thread

thaugen

Reaction score
This is a mockup of the toilet and sink drains in my bathroom. A 4X3 closet bend will run about 3 feet into a sanitary Tee 3X3X2 which will then drop into the basement and into another Tee with cleanout and then connect into the main sewer line. The sink connects to the 2 inch wet vent and then empties into the 3 inch drain. The toilet is just under 5 feet from the wet vent.

The bathtub and shower will have their own vent and will drain into a separate Tee on the cast-iron sewer in the back of the photo.

The relevant codes are 2009 IRC, UPC, 2012 Edition.

Do you see any issues with this set up?
Is it allowable to run the 2 inch vent in a 2 x 4 wall or do I need a 2 x 6 wet wall?
The cast-iron plumbing was put in in the early 60s and I’m pretty sure I should put in a better support than the strap near the end?
Thanks

101_1365_resized.jpg101_1374_resized.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1) Rubber couplings are not allowed above ground. There is no support to prevent the pipes from shifting. Mission makes a stainless steel wrapped coupling that prevents that.

mission_bandseal.jpg

2) A 3x2 low heel on it's back doesn't work. The lo-heel is a santee fitting that must be installed vertically. Any waste going from vertical to horizontal needs a wye, a long turn 90, or combo fitting.

3) Any horizontal piping needs to be either a 45 or a long turn 90. No medium 90's on the horizontal. Any waste going from vertical to horizontal needs a wye, a long turn 90, or combo fitting.

4) the trap arm for the lav should be run off a santee. A combo or wye fitting is the same as an S trap, which is not legal. A 2x1.5" santee there.

5) You can run a 2" vent in a 2x4 wall.

6) You can't use a vent 90 to stub out the lav drain. that should have been a medium 90 in that location of the trap arm.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
Vents need to be 42" above finished floor before they run horizonal (with exceptions that do not apply in your case).

thaugen

Reaction score
Vents need to be 42" above finished floor before they run horizontal (with exceptions that do not apply in your case).

Terry and Tom, thanks for the advice. Obviously I need to use the correct fittings and now I know. The layout is a problem though. The floor joists run parallel to the wall the toilet and lav are on. In the photo I have the toilet drain running in a joist space out from the wall and then the wet vent from the lav goes horizontal through a joist and then up into the wall. Apparently that horizontal vent run is not permitted. So how do I vent the toilet without a horizontal vent run? Putting the stack and vent directly behind the toilet would involve chopping the joist and a couple more bends in the toilet waste run. Both undesirable. This is above a finished basement room - can't drop.

I have thought of a possible solution to the toilet vent issue. Alongside the toilet is a pony wall. Can I connect another vent and run it at 45 up inside the pony wall and then up inside the bathroom wall?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks