cracked American Standard tank F4058

Users who are viewing this thread

cdubya

Reaction score
For reasons I cannot comprehend, a friend's toilet tank cracked for no apparent reason. It is a white American Standard #F4058. Is it reasonable to expect to find a replacement tank or will my friend just need to buy a new toilet? The location is Little Rock, Arkansas.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I suspect this is OLD. For sure, if it predates 1992, there is absolutely no way to make any modern tank fit or work. You might try salvage yards, but I would just buy a new Cadet 3 or Toto.

follow up: I looked over on the old lid site. The F4058 is described as circa 1950, so what I said above applies. A replacement lid can be had, white for about $100, colors about $200. Yes, that is JUST the lid. Unless you have a complete bathroom in some unmatchable exotic color, it is just time to replace the whole thing.

Last edited:

cdubya

Reaction score
Thanks, Jimbo. I suspected as much. I knew it was old. Just didn't know whether parts were available. I figured this was the place to get the answer.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Certainly read the reviews on the Cadet 3 that have been recorded on this forum before getting another American Standard toilet. This is the perfect time to get a Toto.

cdubya

Reaction score
Any Toto model would provide satisfactory flushing even if it is at the low end in price?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every model of Toto performs well. You can pay more for some fancier models, but the performance will be excellent no matter which one you select.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks