American Standard flush valve (kind of a review)

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
I've never seen a flush valve like the 4" one that came on my new American Standard Champion toilets.
I'm used to just giving the handle a little flick--which lifts the flapper high enough to get air into it so it floats--resulting in a full flush. Not this new thing.
You have to deliberately hold the handle down to let enough water in to clear the bowl. The flapper assembly sits very high so the tank always has about ½ gallon of water left in the bottom. I have high iron so this means sediment and iron bacteria will never flow out of my tank.

I do like how vigorous the flush is but these other compromises I don't like.

Elton Noway

Reaction score
Yep... the problem with the American Standard flush valve is they leave 4" of water in the tank every flush. Many owners frustrated with either the poor flush or ghost flushing associated with the Champion 4 have reported great success by replacing the American Standard flush valve with one of the 4" flush valve kits from ‎Nuflush. You can find them on Amazon if you search for "NuFlush Champion 4 Upgrade" The benefit is they rely on the good old flapper style valve located at the bottom of the tank which allows it to empty. Not cheap but something to consider.

NuFlush.jpg
NuFlush2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks