Converting 2 Way switch to add a Timer

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Tremblay

Reaction score
Hi; I have a dual 3-way switch (2 switches in one gang) which is currently used to control 2 different outputs (ie: not used as a 3-way switch). One is a light and the other is a bathroom fan. I want to add a timer so that the fan runs and clears out the humidity. I figured that I would wire both the lights and the fan in parallel since I don't mind the fan being on when the lights are on. If I'm understanding things correctly; I'm missing a wire in my gang to make this work with a timer? My "line" is split to the common right now to provide power and there are two separate "loads" for each device. I tried to connect my "line" to "hot" and my other 2 wires to "neutral" but that didn't work. Everything lights up all the time.

If I'm understanding things correctly; the current switch is basically connecting the hot to terminal A1 or B1 when the switch is on and it doesn't care for a neutral while the timer does which means that I would have to track my neutral and wire it inside the gang for it to work?

PS: There is also a ground which is not contentious here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. You can ONLY wire them in parallel, since series would create problems you do not need.
2. You can wire switches or timers in parallel so the items are controlled separately
3. I cannot imagine WHY you would have two "3 way switches" but just use them a single pole switches.
4. As for the wiring, I think you are beyond your "level of incompetency" if you think connecting two "switch legs" to a neutral is going to work.

JerryR

Reaction score
Would this work for you?
Lutron MS-OPS6-DDV-SW Maestro 6-Amp Single Pole Dual Circuit Occupancy Sensing Switch, Snow

I installed one in my master bath. I configured the light as an occupancy sensor and the fan as a vacancy sensor

The occupancy sensor light turns on automatically when entering the bathroom and turns off 5 minutes after last motion detected if you don't manually turn it off before.

I vacancy sensor requires that I turn the fan on manually and I have it set to turn fan off after 15 minutes of no motion detected. I turn it on after using the shower to clear out the humidity.

I'm very pleased with the Lutron series of motion switches. I have the single version in the garage, laundry room and hallway leading to the garage and laundry room. The hallway switch is set as a 3 way switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks