Connecting air gap to garbage disposer

Users who are viewing this thread

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
I've got an Insinkerator disposer and a Kohler sink, both big brands, Why is it so difficult to connect it to the dishwasher air gap? The basic problem is the disposer has the air connection port aligned with port from the disposer to the drain. The hole in the sink for the air gap is between the disposer and the sink drain. This means the connection tube has to be bent into a complex S. The product HD sells is 1" ID heavy duty hose that strongly resists bending. In fact, the force it exerts on the air gap causes the air gap to tilt, or even pop out since the securing cap is weak plastic.

What am I missing?

Ed S
Placentia, CA

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes I solder up a 90 or 45 with pipe to make a bend.
You also might be able to use a fitting with an inlet, and skip the disposer.

Reach4

Reaction score
The product HD sells is 1" ID heavy duty hose
From what I read, I had the impression that the hose would usually need to be 7/8" ID.

That might help if you looked for alternate sources. Some places have reinforced hose by the foot in the store, even if the website does not list it as a product. I have never installed a disposal/disposer.

Also, 7/8 ID is a size used for some automobile heater hoses. I don't know if your auto parts store would have something a bit limper.

If the hose is almost limp enough, try heating the hose in hot water to make it more flexible during install.

Last edited:

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, but I managed to get it installed. Here's what worked for me with a Badger 500 garbage disposal unit (GDU) and a Kohler Executive Chef sink. I used 1" ID thick wall black hose from HD. They used to sell an appropriate length (about 20"), but now they have it only in 10' lengths. In the shorter lengths, over by the garbage disposal units, they have shorter lengths of the clear, braided wall type. It might work. For the air gap (AG), I used a copper one made by Eastman, rather than the cheap plastic ones at HD.

1. First, measure the thickness of the sink + AG rubber mounting washer. Temporarily, screw the top piece onto the AG as far as you can. Theb spin the lower locking nut the measured distance down from the top piece. Remove the top piece and push it up from below, and have an assistant screw the top piece back on. Snug to the sink, but don't tighten.

2. Install the GDU in the sink. and connect main outlet to the sink drain.

3. Laying on you back under the GDU, hold the hose with one end near the GDU dishwasher 1" inlet port and the other near the 1" outlet port of the AG (the one that angles out). Twist the AG into the position where that outlet port is best aligned to minimize the required bending of the tube. Tighten the AG

4. Now, slip 3 hose clamps loosely on the pipe. Also, rub a bit of lubricant inside one end (SylGlide) and slip it onto the GDU inlet port. Tighten the clamp.

4. Put a piece of masking tape or something else you can mark on with a pen along the side of the hose over the several inches at the free end. Then hold it up to the AG outlet port and mark a cut point, allowing for an inch or so of engagement. Then cut at the mark, lubricate the inside, and shove it onto the AG. Tighten the clamp.

5. You might see flattening or kinking at the sharpest bend point. Slip the third hose clamp to that point and snug it up.

6. Connect the dishwasher hose to the AG inlet port (the one going straight down).

That's it.

jag_man_pic.jpg

Here's a photo: http://www.efsowell.us/Photos/AirGapInstallation2.jpg

Ed S

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks