Users who are viewing this thread

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
cold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Just getting in from running 8 service calls today. Came home for a bit between 8 and 9 to scarf down some food and head back out for more $$$$.

Back is killing me but when I wake up seeing that pile of credit card transactions and personal checks laying beside thee in the morning,

it's going to feel like warm sunshine when I make deposits on tuesday.

Started out with one service call that was scheduled, then between 9 and 1 I got 9 service calls and had to turn one away and scheduled one for monday.

Brought my tools/mc tank in tonight out of the cold, got my block heater plugged in on my diesel and it's $150/hour plus $50 service call fee to go out tonight.

During the football games tomorrow, ?

$753/hour plus $9 service call fee. Figured I'd give a reduced rate since they are spending so much on the hour. :D

cold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Here's what I'm going to look like in the morning coffee.gif

Me at game time Eat.gif then after eatin salsa flame.gif

Oh ****! too much salsa! Grunt.gif

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Rugged ...you are way too cheap

I dont want to go out and thaw out a trailer.....

Really not in the mood for any of it this year.......

too much other stuff going on to spend my life
trying to thaw out pex pipes all night long.....

its ZERO this Sunday morning....their is no wind....

but if it picks up its gonna get very mean , mean mean....

and every little shanty and dump in town is gonna start calling... and some million dollar homes too

My min is $250 to thaw out pipes for the first hour

and 150 for every hour after that....

I think I will take the phone off the hook

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
very good idea....a two hour min charge???

Hey redwood ....that really is not a bad idea......

although we have another plumbing company that
pulled a stunt something like that last year
and got written up in the paper over on the east
side of town.....

they went out and thawed out a bunch of trailers and
charged something like $1700 each to do the work..

( I dont know the particualrs )

but some people literally refused to pay the bill.

they wrote the atourny general, called the papers,
angies list and the BBB ..

they pissed and moaned to anyone who would listen.......

I really dont want that kind of trouble with my good standing in the BBB and Angies list..

but the two hour minimun would put the fear of
god in anyone who wants me to come out tonight.....

Cookie

Reaction score
I got a question that may sound stupid, but instead of gouging the people, why not just say no? (we all take turns being customers somewhere, somehow )

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like the phone off in cold weather too.
I've worked for shops that ran out in cold weather fixing broken pipes.
Didn't spend any time at home with family, but was out in the cold all day.
After two days, I would be missing work when things warmed up, sick in bed without pay.
One place I worked for, they found that the whole crew would come down sick, and they quit doing it too.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Reaction score
Website
Some People Wont Take No For An Answer

I got a question that may sound stupid, but instead of gouging the people, why not just say no? (we all take turns being customers somewhere, somehow )

You are absolutely right cookie,
that is why I am not takeing calls today

But a lot of people have my mobile number and will
get through to me and I have to have a back up plan.....

Telling them I am baby sitting sometimes works,
although some have actally said to me to bring the kids over with me............

so I thiknk the two hour min bill is a good defence to stay out of the frozen...flooded..... 18 inch tall ...... crawl spaces......

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What I've learned long ago to say is, I'm booked until Wednesday.

Or

I have plans and can't make it.

I don't "need" to tell them, that my plans are to watch the Patriots play San Diego and eat pizza, or to go skiing with my son, just like I don't need to know what they like to do in their spare time.

It's on a need to know basis.
They don't need to know why you can't come, only when you could come, Yeah, that would be like Wednesday. My first "open" appointment would be Wednesday.

Can you come sooner?
No.
Why?
I'm already booked.
I have prier commitments.
I'm hanging at home reading a good book with my feet up. (Don't tell em that one)

Cookie

Reaction score
I can't remember what I pay per month for caller ID, but, any calls that comes in private or I don't recognize the number or name, I let go to the answering machine. It is priceless.

Nate R

Reaction score
It's your business, it's your choice whether you want to work or not. I think leaving the phone off the hook or saying you're booked until Wednesday is a great idea!

Cookie

Reaction score
My son has his tv programmed when the phone rings the number comes up on the screen.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Well, after 4 bags of pills

and some warm soup I got to enjoy my only day off even though today has been nothing but a chess game for service calls next week.

Got 2 main drain calls, one leaking shower faucet call and a guy who's going to be PISSED that I'm bouncing the start of a bathroom rework *toilet flange rework/set new tub/double bowl vanity setup* That's not including the calls that will come in tomorrow that I'll try to push off or give up.

I looked like freaking egore today all hunched over. Tried to clean the truck out and managed to do some, not much. I'll be regretting that tomorrow but my plans are to expire to bed early tonight, set up my space heater at the back of the truck and get it manageable.

I don't have the luxury of putting my truck in a garage. Someday I hope to where there's 14' ceilings, thermostatically controlled and tons of lighting, be able to pull in one door and out the other with garage door openers on both. Now I'm dreaming the good dream.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
So far I haven’t had my phone ring yet today. But I did my far share this weekend. I don’t think I will be doing too much today. Its 11* right now with a high of 25* and snow tomorrow just a bit to cold to be in and out all day.

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Tell them the Cold Weather makes Rugged Happy... but your not Rugged or Happy enough...

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I, too, got cold weather work. An unusual wind from the north and near-zero temps meant I got to make several repairs in a commercial copper job today, climbing over stacks of cans and bottles in a back room. Better than sitting home twiddling my thumbs.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'm going to get some of those flourescent cones to put out on the road to set boundaries around my truck.......just like the gas/electric/phone companies use.

People getting home from work and they was parking too close to the truck, let alone the speed of cars going by was too dangerous to walk beside the truck.

I'll get the big ones......just another way to take up space on the truck. :sighs:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks