Cold Water in Tub/Shower Diminishing. Please Help

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by cpg13, Jul 31, 2013.

1. cpg13

cpg13 New Member

Hello,

I have a combo bath & shower with a double handle faucet, similar to this one (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-...ome-833-0401/100662005?N=1z11e3f#.UflO7I3VCDo)

Back in October on 2012 I had some work done in the bathroom to replace all the pipes with copper pipes and the water pressure in the tub and sink was great. Recently (past few weeks) the cold water in the tub has diminished to a small trickle and the hot water seems to be much hotter (maybe this is just because I have no cold water?). The cold and hot water in the sink is fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I would prefer to do it myself if I could, I am just uncertain where to start.

Thanks You!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The pressure balance spool valve may be partially stuck. Some debris in the line may be all it is. On some designs, that is built into the cartridge, on others, it's a separate, replaceable assembly. Or, it could be inlet filter screens that are clogged. You could turn the water off, take the cartridge out, then turn the water back on momentarily - it might flush things out.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I would pull the stem out of the cold side of your two handle valve and see if it needs cleaning.

Make sure the main water supply is off first.
  4. cpg13

cpg13 New Member

Thanks! I will give it a try :)

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; The pressure balance spool valve may be partially stuck.

Two handle faucets do NOT have a pressure balancing spool and most of the rest of the posting applies to single handle faucets also. If only the cold water is affected, the cause is probably in the faucet itself, but if not , the you could have a major problem.
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

How do suppose they can claim "This fixture is built to maintain a constant temperature for a safe and comfortable shower experience." and "Designed to maintain a constant water temperature to prevent accidental scalding"? There is nothing I can see in the IPL that supports those claims.
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/ae/ae3481de-d133-449c-8a26-497fc6771e7f.pdf