reverse threading faucet stem?

Users who are viewing this thread

NormHelena

Reaction score
My house was built ~ 1888. My bathroom plumbing fixtures are old, perhaps from the 1920s or so. My bathroom sink had 2 separate one-hole, single temperature faucets. The right side was for cold water, & the left side was for hot. The valve stem on the left, hot water, faucet had reverse threads; it installed counter-clockwise, & was removed clockwise.

I saw a post on this site stating that stems thread in clockwise. My fixture is proof that this is not always the case for old faucets.

My bath/shower has a center-set faucet, with two handles & a center spout. See photo. Each stem has a shallow, oval-shaped nut for installation & removal that is built into the stem. See photo of removed right (cold) stem. I don't see a mfr's name on the faucet. The side of the bathtub is close enough to the faucet so that it is hard to fit a wrench that is long enough for good leverage onto that nut & turn it. I removed the right, cold-water side, stem with some difficulty because of the shallowness of the oval nut & the closeness to the side of the tub. I've stripped the left (hot) side oval nut quite a bit trying to remove the stem from the valve. I'm worried that it might be reverse-threaded also, & that by turning it counter-clockwise, I am not turning it in the loosening direction.

NormHelena

Reaction score
Here are photos mentioned.

Attachments

• bath-tub-cold-faucet.jpg
    bath-tub-cold-faucet.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 39
  • bath-tub-hot-faucet.jpg
    bath-tub-hot-faucet.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 40
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks