Closet flange in new construction

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by NLRicker, Dec 17, 2008.

1. NLRicker

NLRicker New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    I'm planning to install a Toto Drake (purchased from Terry) in a new house. (I've replaced an existing toilet but never set one in new construction). The rough-in was done by a contractor. The closet flanges have what looks like an integral plug for hydraulic testing. The plug moves a little but I wasn't able to figure out how to remove it and didn't want to risk the brute force method. Or am I just supposed to knock out the center portion (which looks like thin ABS)?
  2. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago Illinois Licensed Plumber
    Chicago, IL
    Most of the flanges out there do have what they call a knock out. Just be careful not to lose it down the line. If you could post a pic of it we could be more sure if the one you have is a knock out type.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Dec 15, 2007
    Service Plumber
    Some even have a point where they are made to get whacked with a hammer and the slug wont fall in and get lost in the line. Like the Oatey Ez Tap flange.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington

With the TKO flanges, you tap the ridge with a hammer to break the seal, and then lift up.

6. gardner

gardner DIY Senior Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Look at that pretty stainless steel flange ring. I wish I had one like that unstead of the dumb ABS one I have. Maybe next time.
  7. theplumber

theplumber Member

Dec 20, 2008
    If you want an even better flush on your Toto, there's a blue flapper w/out the extra side hole that Toto makes as a replacement for your flapper.