Closet flange in new construction

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by NLRicker, Dec 17, 2008.

1. NLRicker

NLRicker New Member

I'm planning to install a Toto Drake (purchased from Terry) in a new house. (I've replaced an existing toilet but never set one in new construction). The rough-in was done by a contractor. The closet flanges have what looks like an integral plug for hydraulic testing. The plug moves a little but I wasn't able to figure out how to remove it and didn't want to risk the brute force method. Or am I just supposed to knock out the center portion (which looks like thin ABS)?
  2. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Most of the flanges out there do have what they call a knock out. Just be careful not to lose it down the line. If you could post a pic of it we could be more sure if the one you have is a knock out type.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Some even have a point where they are made to get whacked with a hammer and the slug wont fall in and get lost in the line. Like the Oatey Ez Tap flange.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

With the TKO flanges, you tap the ridge with a hammer to break the seal, and then lift up.

[​IMG]
  5. gardner

gardner DIY Senior Member

Look at that pretty stainless steel flange ring. I wish I had one like that unstead of the dumb ABS one I have. Maybe next time.
  6. theplumber

theplumber Member

If you want an even better flush on your Toto, there's a blue flapper w/out the extra side hole that Toto makes as a replacement for your flapper.