Closet flange in new construction

Users who are viewing this thread

NLRicker

Reaction score
I'm planning to install a Toto Drake (purchased from Terry) in a new house. (I've replaced an existing toilet but never set one in new construction). The rough-in was done by a contractor. The closet flanges have what looks like an integral plug for hydraulic testing. The plug moves a little but I wasn't able to figure out how to remove it and didn't want to risk the brute force method. Or am I just supposed to knock out the center portion (which looks like thin ABS)?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Most of the flanges out there do have what they call a knock out. Just be careful not to lose it down the line. If you could post a pic of it we could be more sure if the one you have is a knock out type.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Some even have a point where they are made to get whacked with a hammer and the slug wont fall in and get lost in the line. Like the Oatey Ez Tap flange.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
flange_01.jpg

With the TKO flanges, you tap the ridge with a hammer to break the seal, and then lift up.

flange_02.jpg

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Look at that pretty stainless steel flange ring. I wish I had one like that unstead of the dumb ABS one I have. Maybe next time.

theplumber

Reaction score
If you want an even better flush on your Toto, there's a blue flapper w/out the extra side hole that Toto makes as a replacement for your flapper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks