Change diverter types in shower- possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

timmyers15

Reaction score
Hi. I am remodeling my tub surround. I have a single lever faucet with a diverter through the escutcheon plate itself (NOT on top of the spout). I am having a hard time finding replacement handle/plates with the divereter in the plate. I have only found one so far, which cost $700, far more than I want to spend.....

My question is this- If I wanted to replace the handle/plate/spout with a set that has the diverter built into the spout, would I have to do anything special with the existing diverter mechanism? Would everything in the wall have to be ripped out and replaced, or is there a may to simply remove the current diverter and leave the mechanism/valve "as is" in the wall?

Sorry for the probably dumb question, but I've never worked with diverters before.

Thanks!

Tim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should be able to replace the valve with a new one if you are doing some remodeling for much less than the $700. Now, if you are not replacing the walls, it gets a little harder. They do make remodel eschucions that should cover the larger hole in the wall if you can't get at the valve from behind. Then, using a divertor tub filler spout, you should be fine. When I did my bathroom remodel, I chose an external valve with a build-in divertor and a hand shower. Thus, I only had two pipes coming out of the wall - the hot and cold. Everything else is outside. That wall backed up against a big air duct in a closet, and I just didn't want to have to cut things up to replace or work on stuff in the wall. Since pipes usually are pretty reliable, I'm hoping i should be okay.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks