Carpet to tile transition thingie

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chassis, Oct 7, 2007.

1. chassis

chassis Engineer

I'm looking for a carpet to tile transition that has metal teeth and clamps the edge of the carpet from underneath, in other words you can't see it after it's installed. You push it down to get the teeth to bite into the carpet, then finish the job with a hammer. A folded carpet edge (not a raw edge) is what is visible when the job is done.

It's not a wood tack strip, and it's not a exposed metal trim or transition piece.

I think I saw one on a DIY show but my local Home Depot didn't have what I was looking for. Another option is narrow crown staples, which I would drive through the folded (doubled) edge. The transition I am working with is a carpeted hallway, and a marble bathroom threshhold (saddle).

Thanks.
  2. got_nailed

got_nailed DIY Senior Member

The metal carpet thing you’re looking for is not in the carpet department. It is over by the meat door jams and the door insulation stuff.

This is where it is at both the big orange and blue where I’m at.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A Z-strip. Depending on the relative heights of the flooring, this may protect the tile edge. If not, then chipping the tile edge is a potential problem. If the tile isn't already down, there are transitions; www.schluter.com makes a bunch of different ones that are attached under the last row of tile. one of those may work in conjunction with a z-strip or other possibilities.
  4. profiles. Name: profile. That is the word you need, to find them, and to order them.

david
  5. chassis

chassis Engineer

Thanks for the input folks. I got a z-bar and a tack strip from Lowe's. Now to install it. I got 2 of each in case I don't get it right the first time. ;)

How do you finagle these into position? Looks like you nail the tack strip down over the z-bar, then tuck the carpet under the z-bar and bend it down. Sounds simple but doesn't look so easy. Any tips for the novices among us? Thanks.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Z-bar

#1 tip. Do not cut the carpet too short before you fit it into the Z-bar.
  7. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

8. jadnashua

More of John...this time 7-years late, and not answering the question asked!

A Z-strip looks like a Z. You wrap the carpet over the top of the Z and tuck it in, (after nailing the thing to the floor), then bang down the top of the Z to anchor the carpeting into the trim piece. The biggest potential problem when backing up to tile with one is hitting the tile and cracking it when trying to anchor the carpet when bending and clamping it into the trim. Depending on the thickness of the carpeting and the height of the tile, it may or may not protect the raw edge of the tile well. Rolling a heavy load over the transition won't protect it as much as one where there's something ON the top of the tile, or attached to the tile to protect its edge, but could prevent a tripping hazard if things line up well.
  9. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

John, the OP wants something that is not visible.
  10. johnfrwhipple

Thanks HJ & LLigetfa! Seven years later the tips come out. That's a great video - never seen one installed - Cool trick. We would call that a Zed bar not Zee bar in Canada. :)

The transition to tile is hard since the tile needs to be trimmed out to protect the edge from chipping with some kind of tile profile. I would use the second from the left and then a tile transition. You need something to seal the fibbers on the carpet so they do not get sucked up by the vacuum cleaner.

Going with a Zbar and plain tile I think will lead to chipped edges. Might look good for a little while. Not long term. I also think stepping on the seam will not feel very nice.

Looks like this install is using a ZBar

[​IMG]

I think it looks a little unpolished. A little fuzzy. I also don't like the sliver cut of tile. Would have preferred to see at least a 1/3 tile cut at this transition from the carpet to tile.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  11. jadnashua

Seems somewhat obvious, John doesn't have a clue what a carpet Z-bar is. And, because he has me (and some others blocked), he can't or won't see the answers, making him look kind of silly.

If installed properly, a Z-bar has the end of the carpeting locked inside of it, and 'fibbers' won't be an issue. His choice would be very messy without using a profile with a long lip to cover the edge of the carpeting. ANd, if you did, why would you use the trim he selected in the first place? You'd probably just use a tack strip with the profile's edge covering the end of the carpeting.

Ideally, you'd use a simple edge profile to protect the edge, and if you didn't want anything else to show, the Z-bar would work. Depending on the tile, the edge profile may just almost disappear.

But, why are we discussing this on a post 7-years old? Because John likes to get his post count up, and believes he is the only one that knows anything. The OP wanted something that did not show, and a Z-bar is designed to do that.
  12. LLigetfa

While we are necromancing an old thread, the OP was transitioning to marble, not tile. Often, rather than a cut tile edge, one could put down a threshold strip of solid surface material or some such that is not prone to chipping and can have the edge eased so as not to be uncomfortable to step on. Then again, I like using porcelain tile that has the colour going all the way through so that I can ease the edge of it.
  13. johnfrwhipple

Huh - What does necromancing mean?

This looks like a nice approach to the tile to carpet transition. Never seen one of these either...

[​IMG]

Looks like a Marble strip on the left with a nice factory bevel....
  14. johnfrwhipple

Carpet to tile transition with no thingie

Looks like the tile tucks under the tile a little bit on this job.

[​IMG]

There is lots wrong with this picture. First off the seam point ideally would be on the center of the door. So when the door is closed you see only carpet from the bedroom and from the bathroom you see only tile. I don't like it when the tile butts tight up to the door stop like that.

These are the basics - things that need reviewing at the start of the job.
  15. johnfrwhipple

LOL

Just looked this up: That's a big word for me. I build showers for a living, not teach Engrish.

Necromancy /ˈnɛkrɵˌmænsi/ or nigromancy is a form of magic involving communication with the deceased – either by summoning their spirit as anapparition or raising them bodily – for the purpose of divination, imparting the means to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge, or to use the deceased as a weapon, as the term may sometimes be used in a more general sense to refer to black magic or witchcraft.[1][2]

The word "necromancy" is adapted from Late Latin necromantia, itself borrowed from post-Classical Greek νεκρομαντεία (nekromanteía), a compound ofAncient Greek νεκρός (nekrós), "dead body", and μαντεία (manteía), "prophecy or divination"; this compound form was first used by Origen of Alexandriain the 3rd century CE.[3] The Classical Greek term was ἡ νέκυια (nekyia), from the episode of the Odyssey in which Odysseus visits the realm of the dead, νεκυομαντεία in Hellenistic Greek, rendered as necyomantīa in Latin, and as necyomancy in 17th-century English.[4]
  16. DougB

DougB Member

Sure you didn't mean necrophilia?
  17. LLigetfa

18. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]
  19. johnfrwhipple

A three year old discussion is only old if people stop viewing them. Ones getting 15-20 hits a day are ones worth expanding on. Since they still rank so high in local searches.

I feel the urge to play scrabble with all these new words at my disposal...
  20. LLigetfa

Umm... 2007 to 2014 is 7 years. Maybe the OP is still weighing options?
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014 at 6:29 AM