Carpet to tile transition thingie

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chassis, Oct 7, 2007.

1. chassis

chassis Engineer

I'm looking for a carpet to tile transition that has metal teeth and clamps the edge of the carpet from underneath, in other words you can't see it after it's installed. You push it down to get the teeth to bite into the carpet, then finish the job with a hammer. A folded carpet edge (not a raw edge) is what is visible when the job is done.

It's not a wood tack strip, and it's not a exposed metal trim or transition piece.

I think I saw one on a DIY show but my local Home Depot didn't have what I was looking for. Another option is narrow crown staples, which I would drive through the folded (doubled) edge. The transition I am working with is a carpeted hallway, and a marble bathroom threshhold (saddle).

Thanks.
  2. got_nailed

got_nailed DIY Senior Member

The metal carpet thing you’re looking for is not in the carpet department. It is over by the meat door jams and the door insulation stuff.

This is where it is at both the big orange and blue where I’m at.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A Z-strip. Depending on the relative heights of the flooring, this may protect the tile edge. If not, then chipping the tile edge is a potential problem. If the tile isn't already down, there are transitions; www.schluter.com makes a bunch of different ones that are attached under the last row of tile. one of those may work in conjunction with a z-strip or other possibilities.
  4. profiles. Name: profile. That is the word you need, to find them, and to order them.

david
  5. chassis

chassis Engineer

Thanks for the input folks. I got a z-bar and a tack strip from Lowe's. Now to install it. I got 2 of each in case I don't get it right the first time. ;)

How do you finagle these into position? Looks like you nail the tack strip down over the z-bar, then tuck the carpet under the z-bar and bend it down. Sounds simple but doesn't look so easy. Any tips for the novices among us? Thanks.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Z-bar

#1 tip. Do not cut the carpet too short before you fit it into the Z-bar.