Busted PVC pipe, what to do

Users who are viewing this thread

jemu

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure how this happened -- been doing a remodel of this bathroom. But this is the pipe that goes to the trap for the vanity.

Is there a way to fix this myself? Should I call a plumber? Thanks.

Attachments

• pipe 1.jpg
    pipe 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 267
  • pipe 2.jpg
    pipe 2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 246

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to replace the T.
DIY if you know how, otherwise call a plumber.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You would need to cut out the broken pieces. You'll need probably at least a couple shielded couplers, as the pipe probably won't move enough to use a solid coupler. You'd need to cut above and below the fitting so that there's enough room to insert a new stub into the fitting that will have enough sticking out to use the shielded coupler. You may want to install a hanger clamp to the pipe section above and below so when you cut out the fitting, things don't shift from gravity.

While not terribly complex, there's a learning curve.

Hopefully, that's not a load-bearing wall! There's only the drywall keeping things from shifting.

jemu

Reaction score
Alright thank you. I have plumber coming to replace an anode rod for me, probably this week (when the part comes in), it may be better to just have the plumber do this, in the interest of time.

DaveHo

Reaction score
What a hack job on that wall. I also notice you have polybutylene supply lines. You'd be wise to remove as much of that stuff as possible while the wall is open.

DaveHo

Reaction score
I ripped out of whole house full of the stuff & re-piped with Uponor. Upper left, first pic is definitely poly b. The toilet supply line color is washed out in the pic, but looks like poly to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks