Broken garden spigot

Users who are viewing this thread

Andy McCutchen

Reaction score
The spigot for my garden hose has broken off at the wall (it gets used A LOT) and I'm wondering if this is something I can take care of myself. I have no experience to speak of in the plumbing field, so I've attached pics to make things easier. One image is of the outside wall and the other is of the inside. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200509_105411.jpg
    20200509_105411.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 20200509_105329.jpg
    20200509_105329.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 121

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally I would have a frostfree hosebib there.
Soldering is how I normally do that. You could also use Sharkbite type fittings for that.

legend_hosebib.jpg

There are about six brands to choose from.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Note when installing any frost-free silcock, the shaft needs to have some slope to allow the water to drain after you shut it off and remove the hose prior to anything freezing.

If you have hot water anywhere near, they do make frost-free silcocks that would let you get anything from hot to cold out that hose...may be nice to wash the dog, car, or maybe even you at times.

Andy McCutchen

Reaction score
Great, I really appreciate the help. I'll give it a try. One more question, though. What do you recommend I use to seal the hole in the wall? Cement, I assume, but I'll ask to be sure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends somewhat on whether the silcock has a base big enough to cover the hole. If it does, I'd consider using some spray foam. If it doesn't, probably some hydraulic cement as that will slightly expand as it cures (it does this quickly...read the instructions carefully!), and will make a good seal. Hydraulic cement usually comes in a small box. Once opened, any cement based product tends to go bad and even an unopened one may not be any good after a year from packaging, so check the date code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks