BrassCraft 1/4 turn G2 water stop

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Ray Ball, May 29, 2010.

1. Ray Ball

Ray Ball New Member

My plummer installed BrassCraft 1/4 turn water stops, G2 series, in our ensuite bathroom.
    Five months later, the hot water stop blew apart and flowed about a day causing about $70,000
    damages. If there were threads in the water stop, they were all stripped off.
    I understand there has been a problem with these G2 series, and wonder if there is any legal recourse.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I had a brasscraft valve that looks like that one break in my hand.......stem broke in half as I turned it, and of course there was a gusher. Fortunately, I was right there. In my case, the metal stem just disintegrated. I have read that others have had that problem, and ascribed it to de-zincification of the brass. Don't know if they have either changed or fixed that.

Here is a pic of mine, not identical to the OP valve, but it is brasscraft, the brass stem disintegrated, and when it snapped, old faithful hit me right in the face!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A 1/4 turn valve does NOT have threads on the stem. It just rotates in a barrel. Given the way they are assembled, I am not sure HOW it could have "blown apart". Normally, your homeowner's insurance company would take care of the damages, and THEY would seek the "legal recourse", if any, not you.
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  4. Ray Ball

Ray Ball New Member

BrassCraft 1/4 turn water stop blew apart

My 1/4 turn G2 valve blew apart on the connection side between the two nut surfaces, not on the rotating valve side. I will e-mail you a couple of pictures to illustrate the separation ( I don't know how to attach them to this response).
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Nelson Water damage photos

Here are some photos sent by email.

These attachments show the blown apart BrassCraft 1/4 turn G2 series water stop that I started a thread on 29 May, 2010. I don't know my URL so I couldn't attach these pictures to the thread.

One of my neighbors also had the same problem.

thank you,

Ray Ball

Attached Files: