Best method to reroute 1/2" copper supply line to allow Vent duct through wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY007

Reaction score
Long story short: The wife bought an Over the range Microwave with a built in fan that can be ducted to the outside. My present cooktop has a down draft vent that I was going to try and reuse the exterior wall hole if possible. This is an exterior wall.

To my surprise, when I opened the sheetrock above the cooktop to work on the ducting for the microwave, a 1/2 copper pipe going to the second floor was dead centered staring back at me ! :mad: This pipe goes all the way down to about 12" inches off the floor and then does a "T" and goes through the studs on both sides. The down draft vent duct is right below the "T".

At this point I am abandoning trying to use the existing duct outlet at the bottom of the exterior wall because of the pipe. So I want to duct the microwave horizontally straight through the wall, the copper pipe is dead center between 2 studs 16" apart.

I was thinking to just use 4 90 degree copper elbows and route it to the side of a stud for 12-18" and then back out to the center. The guy at the big box store was telling me to use a sharkbite 18" flexible ss braided hose, but I don't feel comfortable having a braided hose inside a wall. I feel better with rigid pipe - he was then suggesting using the sharkbite rigid elbows, that would make life easier for me, but I have no issues with just soldering, and usually when I take the easy way, it comes back to haunt me.

What is the best way and method you would use to re-route this pipe?

I still cannot believe they placed a pipe deadcenter behind the cooktop!

Thanks,
DIY007

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With 1/2" copper pipe and four 90's, I would just solder it.
It doesn't get easier then torching 1/2". They heat up real well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks