Bathtub Spout Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

dizyner

Graphic & Web Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.dizyn.net
I removed the bathtub spout to look for a leak inside the wall. When I initially removed it I turned it counterclockwise to do so. I am now trying to reinstall it and it won't go onto the pipe. There are no visible threads on the copper pipe which extrudes from the wall. I did loosen the allen screw to it's max but still can't get the spout bacl on. What am I missing????

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did you loosen the set screw before you tried to remove it? Take a close look at the pipe, you might have a groove embossed into it from the screw if you didn't. This would make sealing really tough.

The slip on spouts have o-rings to seal...they may have slipped out of their slots, making it hard to reinsert the thing. Take a flashlight and try to see what's going on inside the spout. If the pipe and or spout are now messed up, you might end up replacing both. An alternative would be to solder on a threaded connection and replace the spout with one that screws on rather than the slip on variety. This takes some careful measurement to get the pipe and fitting at just the right position so the spout screws tight just as it contacts the wall.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Clean the pipe with emory cloth and check the pipe for defects before pushing the spout back on. You might try using a few drops of oil or a bit of plumber's grease on that pipe. But, as JAD suggested, you may have wrecked the pipe by trying to "unscrew" it without first loosening up the allen screw.

Why were you checking for a leak in the wall and what made you think it was coming from the tub spout? Do you have an access panel to open where you can check for leaks with a flashlight?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks