Bathtub Faucet came shooting out today

Users who are viewing this thread

BeautyFish

Reaction score
I have the whole family staying over today because my wife was just moved to hospice. It's total chaos. Evidently my 89 year old mother used the faucet as leverage to get out of the tub earlier today and it pulled out a little, so she shoved it back. Then, my brother in law tried to take a shower, and when he pushed the button on the faucet to change from tub to shower the whole faucet assembly shot into the bathtub, leaving water shooting out of a copper pipe! I am handy, but don't do much plumbing and did not do this bathroom install. There is a white plastic assembly at the larger end of the faucet that turns about an eight of a turn by hand, but it doesn't seem to tighten the faucet's travel along the pipe and wouldn't be accessible once the faucet was positioned anyway. I could use some advice on how to get this reset correctly. I'm attaching pics. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are two general ways a tub spout is attached to the pipe: push-on, which then has a setscrew to lock it in place (uses O-rings for seals), or screw on, which requires either a threaded pipe or a soldered on threaded adapter. I don't work with them much, but it appears yours must be a push on type. It looks like that fitting in the end may be a twist lock arrangement that holds the spout to the adapter and pipe, and the part at the end would be first installed, then locked down onto the pipe stub. Can you see a dent or scratch on the bottom of the pipe where there may have been a setscrew holding it in place? Is there a corresponding hole on the bottom of the spout? If so, it probably uses an Allen wrench, but a few have a straight slot for a setscrew. If there is no slot for a screw, then the adapter must come off the spout, and that is locked onto the pipe, then the spout is attached afterwards.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Does the brass thread out of the tub spout.
It reminds me a little of the Delta spouts.

This one threads onto a brass piece with a rubber O-ring.
The brass fitting is soldered to the copper pipe.

delta_tub_spout_a1.jpg

delta_tub_spout_a2.jpg

Last edited:

BeautyFish

Reaction score
That's exactly the piece! I had a plumber come by today, and he said he had never seen anything like it, then wanted $335 to install a replacement. Now that I've seen your pic, I can see that mine was never installed correctly. The brass piece was never soldered at all, and was oriented backward from how your picture is, with the threaded end faced into the spout and the O-ring towards the tub wall. If I'm going to try to solder the piece on myself (I've never sweated any pipes before), which side of the brass fitting gets the solder and flux? The threaded side or the O-ring side?

BeautyFish

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone here. The picture and linked instructions were what I needed. Had a torch, pipe cutter, emery paper, tools. Needed a wire brush, flux, and solder. The job took me 20 minutes and worked great. The plumber who got all "A" ratings on Angie's List didn't have a clue and wanted $335 to fix the problem by replacing the spout, which was fine (just improperly installed), and also tried to sell me a "Platinum Maintenance Plan." How do you trust service people these days? I do as much as I can myself, but this is getting ridiculous.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks