Basement Sewage Pit Drainage

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan87500

Reaction score
I have a sewage pit basin that I assumed was connected to the bathroom in my basement and the drain in the utility room for the furnace and water heater.

I haven't used the bathroom in the basement in many years and wanted to make sure everything was working right. I didn't pull the entire pit cover instead just the vent pipe to look in. What I noticed confused me so wanted to see if someone can shed some light for me.

I see a 4 inch drain which I believe is coming from the basement under that is some gravel and a stead flow of water coming out of it. I wasn't sure what that water was from? Water under the bottom slab and under the drain tiles maybe? If so would it make sense that dirty sewage water from the shower / toilet will be in the same basin?

The other interesting thing is i looked at the drain the furnace goes into, and vaccumed all the water out, it goes deaper then the 4 inch hole so I have no idea where that even goes to. I assume it doesn't just empty out under the house would it?

Here is a picture of my furnace drain and basin if that helps.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So questions.

Is the pump still working? Or does the water go down that drain and away?

Normally with a sewage pump, it would be tight.
If you had ground water under the slab, you would want a pump that pumped that clean water out of there. I wouldn't want to be mixing the two.

Ryan87500

Reaction score
Honestly I am not sure if the pump was working properly or not before. I have to play with the float to get it working again today it seemed kind of jammed shut. It is working better but I plan to pull it and clean it. On my sump pump basin I took a look and it is filling up with water through an opening under the drain tile hole. So does that mean there is water under the slab at all times that has to be pumped out?

Is it possible to seal up this sewage basin? Or would that cause more problems?

Finally any way to tell where the furnace drain goes to or would I need someone to put a camera in there.

Ryan87500

Reaction score
Can I put some sort of dye in the drain pipe in the ground to see if it goes into the sump pump some how?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks