Shower and toilet vent into a sewage pit

Users who are viewing this thread

anderson7479

Reaction score
Sewage.jpg

I am adding a basement bathroom where the waste pipe out of the house is above grade. I will be adding a sewage ejector pit/pump. See diagram.

The pit will be in direct line with the shower drain which is approximately 30" away from the 2" p-trap and approximately 29 inches away from the toilet. The pit will be installed on the other side of the wall that separates the bathroom from the utility room. I will connect the 3" inch line from the toilet to the 2" line coming from the shower with a WYE. From the WYE to the pit is only approximately 7 inches.

Given such a short run, does the toilet and/or the shower need separate venting? If so, where is the best place to put that vent in the diagram? The sewage pit will have a 2" discharge and 2" vent coming out of the top of the pit.

Thank you for your help.

Reach4

Reaction score
Best place is to put the venting on the lavatory, which you did not show.

Also the pit itself needs venting thru a thru-the-roof vent. Not sure about NJ, but other codes call for that vent to be 2 inch.

anderson7479

Reaction score
Best place is to put the venting on the lavatory, which you did not show.

Also the pit itself needs venting thru a thru-the-roof vent. Not sure about NJ, but other codes call for that vent to be 2 inch.
The waste pipe going out of the house is only 8 inches off of the slab. Therefore, I am able to tie the lav right into the waste pipe going out of the house. The lav will also have a separate vent that ties into the house venting system.

Do you think I should not take that approach and tie the lav right into the pit?

Reach4

Reaction score
Tying the lav into the line from the shower before the toilet will take care of venting the lav and the toilet.

If I were making the rules, what you would propose, feeding into the vented pit for the shower and toilet, would be allowed. But the codes don't see it that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks