Ball valve direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I installed this valve backwards, it flows from bottom to top. I believe the valve should be turned around?
Does this really matter with a ball valve. There is no arrow on the body, but I have it in my head this is not the ideal direction? Not sure why, but anyone know if this 1" ball valve has any functional purpose to be flipped around? I hope this works just fine this way too?
IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have looked at the ball valves I'm installing and tried to reason if any of that mattered. It doesn't.
What does matter is being able to swing the lever open and shut do that it doesn't hit anything. :)

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ball valves don't have a direction. They just should be positioned with the handle on top when ran horizontally.

I do try to install them so that the handle opens toward the flow of water. Just like you have it. Yours is right.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
I have looked at the ball valves I'm installing and tried to reason if any of that mattered. It doesn't.
What does matter is being able to swing the lever open and shut do that it doesn't hit anything. :)

Well, actually I was always told that the threaded side of the valve is supposed to be on the exit side but it dont matter as I have done it both ways many times and it all depends on the swing of the handle so that is about it.....
as long as you can turn the handle the way its easiest to do it will be fine.....
the water is dumb and does not really care one bit....

Reaction score
Thank you,
In addition to you all giving me great feedback on this, the manufacture chimed in agreeing with you all, saying there is no functional issues as it is bi directional. Thanks for confirming with me on this.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
handle preferably points direction of flow. just among those that work with this stuff doesn't matter a bit in function.

just had a second look even though it doesn't "matter" you have it flowing in the "right" direction!

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
For gas you always want the lever to fall in the close position like what you have. I remember in school the instructor said something about the threaded side, it sounded not important so I never did it