Question about SharkBite Slip Ball Valve Length

Users who are viewing this thread

saladsamurai

Reaction score
Hi - I know people have feelings about SharkBites but maybe we can put that aside for just a moment. For context, I am a not a plumber, I'm a homeowner/sometimes DIYer.

In my basement I have sweated-in stop and waste valve that is broken/non-functional and it's in a highly visible and frequently visited area and that's why I was going to use a SharkBite slip ball valve for this temporary application (I'll have a pro sweat in a real valve when we redo bathroom in next month or so). Here's the issue I am seeing: The old valve body is 2.375" long and the new slip valve is 4.125" long and requires 1" insertion depth on each end per spec on the package. Even if I could flush cut the pipe off of the old valve I'd still not have enough pipe left to install top proper insertion depth. The pipe install is rigid and I wouldn't be able to "pull them together at all".

Now I know there are workarounds here: I could un-sweat the valve and recover some pipe length or I could cut away a section and use a coupler to add more pipe in.

My question: I would have thought that a direct valve replacement for the DIYer was SharkBite's target market and so I would have thought that the slip end should have been made just a bit longer so that DIYers wouldn't have de-solder or add pipe length. Or is my original valve body particularly long and that's the issue?

Again, I am just curious about all of this and trying to learn so thanks for reading!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Sharkbite decided to make the repair-oriented slip valve whatever length the guys in the room decided on, and you can add couplings…so maybe they did the minimal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks