Attaching new basement drain to cast iron sewage pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

AliInBaltimore

Reaction score
I have a house built in the mid-1980's. The main sewage line is cast iron and under the basement concrete floor. The basement bathroom only has sink and toilet drains. I wish to add plumbing for a shower drain. I am nervous to break the concrete and cut into the main sewage line, especially since it is an old cast iron pipe. I feel like there's a chance the pipe might crack, but a couple plumbers have assured me this sort of project is very common. Since I have purchased this house, almost every contractor who said "Don't worry, we do this all the time" has had to come back again and again to fix their work. For something of this magnitude, I thought I'd ask advice here before I continue. What are the chances of complications? E.g., what are the chances the sewage will back up and flood the basement if something goes wrong? We really want the shower there and now's the best opportunity to put it in since we are in the middle of a complete refinishing of the basement. Thanks for any feedback.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They may "do it all the time", but it is more difficult than just installing a "tee in the line" for the shower. No way to tell if there would be complictions but there may be depending on the accessibility of a vent.

AliInBaltimore

Reaction score
The existing vents are closeby and shouldn't be an issue. I'm assuming the procedure to attach the drain is something like this:

I was more concerned with hearing some feedback from people who've completed this sort of project and, e.g., there haven't been any complicated for 5 or more years thus far. I'm nervous about distrubing a cast iron pipe that's been untouched for 20 years, and was wondering if that nervousness is unfounded.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pretty much like that but with wyes on the horizontal for the vents, not santees.
I normally use a snap cutter, but it looks like he knows how to use a grinder.

Edit: I would never use a grinder like that though. Nor would I want my son using that.
I either snap it, or use a sawzall.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Cast iron from the eighties is still new. It's the cast iron from the 40's & 50's that is starting to become a problem.

Whatever you do, ensure the plumber pulls a permit so that a (hopefully) competent inspector will be checking his work.
Any fixture in the basement will require a vent through the roof, or at minimum a vent connection can be made to an existing vent, but that connection must be at least 42" above the level of the first floor, so a new vent often makes less work and more sense.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "safety issue" is NOT "wearing a watch", it is using the grinder without it guard in case the wheel shatters and "nice and tight with a nut driver" is NOT the same as nice and tight with an approved torque wrench.

AliInBaltimore

Reaction score
Whatever you do, ensure the plumber pulls a permit so that a (hopefully) competent inspector will be checking his work.
Any fixture in the basement will require a vent through the roof, or at minimum a vent connection can be made to an existing vent, but that connection must be at least 42" above the level of the first floor, so a new vent often makes less work and more sense.

Aside from code violations, why is it a bad idea to make a vent connection to an existing vent? All the other vents for the other bathrooms, including the ones for the existing plumbing in this basement bathroom, are shared.

Also, curious to know if plumbing work is done without permits, could that affect any possible insurance claims in the future? I had some outside faucets repaired (it was done by cutting through the drywall from the inside) and I don't remember any permits being pulled for those.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Here, a repair does not require a permit, but if fixtures are being added or the configuration of the drains or vents is being changed, it is beyond the scope of a repair.
If there is new work done that is not inspected and approved, the municipality can revoke the building's occupancy permit, meaning no one can live in the home until it is brought up to code and inspected.

You can tie into existing vents if you do it correctly. Without seeing your plan, is impossible to say whether it right or wrong. When I request a permit for a new installation, I have to submit a proper plumbing diagram which is checked before the permit is approved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks