anchoring dishwasher to granite counter?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by thirsytchicken, Apr 30, 2007.

1. thirsytchicken

thirsytchicken New Member

hi, my mother in law recetly had her kitchen re done. Apparently the contrator did not anchor the dishwasher to anything and is easily moved. The contertops are granite, which he did not install. Typically,we think these things are screwed it to he counter top to anchor it. Is this different with granite? If so, how? Thanks bunch, Janine
  2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

if you have a gap between the mounting tabs and the bottom of the counter, cut a 24"x1-1/2" strip of wood the gap. The thickness of the wood will need to be the same as the gap between the DW tabs and the counter. Use silicone to adhere the wood to the bottom of the granite with a bead the entire length of the strip. Hold it in place over night with a couple strips of masking tape. The following day you can remove the tape and screw the tabs into the strip just like any other wood based counter top. It would also be a good idea to finish the wood to match the cabinets.

If there's no gap then it is a different matter... Let us know if there's no gap.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Anchoring DW

Why not drill pilot holes with a 1/8" masonry bit and use either very short 3/16" tapcon screws or else plastic cement anchors with short galvanized screws.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

dw

Check your dishwasher installation manual. Often the countertop clips can be moved to the sides of the DW so they can screw to the sides of the cabinet when the top is granite or other hard materials. If anyone is going to drill, or tap screws into it, it had better be the granite installer/supplier, or you may wind up buying a new countertop.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I'm with hj on this. I would never touch the granite with any tool tougher than a toothpick!

New dishwashers I have seen do have a method to move the clips to the sides, and a typical granite installation has a filler strip across the DW opening, so the DW can be secured to it.
  6. I've had my share of these granite countertops. NOTHING get's anchored to the granite.

Side clips as mentioned is the only anchoring done.

I now have a trumped fee above and beyond the hourly rate now to deal with these )#@!ing countertops.

If they don't like it.......go find someone else more hungry; I'm not wasting my time on them anymore. They are just too much trouble and the customer has no realization to why they are so difficult.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  7. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Anchoring to Granite

What's the problem with anchoring to granite? Does it void the warranty? Does it have a tendency to crack if you try to drill a little pilot hole? Or is it just so expensive that you don't want to even take a chance on messing it up?

Does anyone have any anectdotal evidence of ruining a granite countertop?
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some granites have lots of natural inclusions. Most anchors rely on an expanding joint. It is near an edge. Drilling puts stress on the material. Vibration from the DW and slamming of the door generates impact. It is not worth the risk of ruining a potentially thousands of $$ counter slab when you can anchor it in another way that doesn't put it at risk.
  9. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

if you drill the granite it could crack or the hole will blow out on the bottom side, neither of which are good...
  10. thirsytchicken

thirsytchicken New Member

Thank you all very much, we appreciate the info...makes sense about the granite, and we will check out the movable clips- janine
  11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

liability

Verdeboy. ALL OF THE ABOVE. The only way we would have anecdotal stories to tell is if we violated our good sense about not touching it. But I know many granite installers who have had to replace countertops because it cracked when they did something they shouldn't have.
  12. stx333

stx333 New Member

Just a quick suggestion, I usually glue the clips up to the counter with commercial epoxy glue which I get at Fasco, Miami
  13. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Agree 100%. Last year we put in quartz countertops. The dishwasher got clipped on the sides.
  14. Cass

Cass Plumber

I also agree with all the above caution statements.

If you must have it attatched to the granite have the granite installers do it with the understanding that they will replace it if there is a problem.
  15. Cass

Cass Plumber

Verdyboy, all I can say is if you do a job like that I hope you have deep pockets.
  16. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

Throw caution to the wind!!!!

What the heck rent a 32 cal. Ram Set. ,Yellow charge, 2 1/2" nails and let Er rip:D
  17. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

LOL

Most of my customers don't even have dishwashers let alone granite countertops. :D

I like to play devil's advocate from time-to-time in order to get the most information I can on a subject.