Advice on Vent Location

Users who are viewing this thread

Willy L

Reaction score
Hello. We are re-doing our bathroom and would like some advice on where to relocate the vent. The 1.5" vent for the shower is currently hidden in a partition wall that we would like to remove. We would also like to switch the tub and the shower location.

The vent currently goes straight up to the attic and through the roof. The red dot is where the new shower drain would be. The new tub drain location is about the same as the current one. The sink drains are for another bathroom next to this.

Thank you in advance.

plumbing_1.jpg

plumbing_2.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Nice drawings. I think it would help the Pros respond if you included a drawing of how you want to run the new piping. Where/how do you plan to tie in the new shower drain location and where do you want the vent to tie in?

Willy L

Reaction score
Nice drawings. I think it would help the Pros respond if you included a drawing of how you want to run the new piping. Where/how do you plan to tie in the new shower drain location and where do you want the vent to tie in?
Thanks for the suggestion. Below is my plan.

The new shower pan has only one threshold, so I am trying to see if I could hide the vent pipe in the half wall. Is this allowed? If so, I can turn it towards the wall, up to the attic, and re-connect to the existing vent and out the roof.

proposed_plumbing_1.jpg proposed_plumbing_2.jpg proposed_plumbing_3.jpg proposed_plumbing_4.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wyes on the horizontal.
And I hope that the toilet is not on a santee on it's back. I saw one installed that way, and there was a large amount of poop on the uphill side of the fitting that stayed there.
The vent can go flat at six inches above flood level of the highest fixture.

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you allowed to drill that many holes in structure joints? ? I would keep most of my drain in one bay and sistered the joints that have drain going thru.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, you've kind of hidden what's happening with the toilet. Is it connected separately to the stack from the rest of the drains? If not, how are you merging the flows prior to entering the stack?

Willy L

Reaction score
Wyes on the horizontal.
OK, thank you.

And I hope that the toilet is not on a santee on it's back. I saw one installed that way, and there was a large amount of poop on the uphill side of the fitting that stayed there.
I have not opened up the subfloor around the toilet, that's why I didn't draw it. It has blocking around it so I can't peek from the side that's opened up.

The vent can go flat at six inches above flood level of the highest fixture.
The sinks have their own vent, so this vent is only for the shower and the bathtub. The bathtub is about 25" high, and the half wall is about 48".

Willy L

Reaction score
Are you allowed to drill that many holes in structure joints? ? I would keep most of my drain in one bay and sistered the joints that have drain going thru.
I am trying to re-use all the existing holes. The initial post above has a picture showing the existing pipes.

I have one joist that definitely need to be sistered. The joist near the existing shower drain was cut from a 2x10 to a 2x6. The house was built 30+ years ago, but I still don't know how that passed inspection (if there was one done).

Willy L

Reaction score
Wyes on the horizontal.
For the connection from horizontal drain to vertical vent, which tee should be used? (Don't mind the 1.5" size in the picture. I couldn't find one that says 2".)

Thank you again.

Attachments

• tee1.jpg
    tee1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 155
  • tee2.jpg
    tee2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 165
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks