4 wire submersible 110volt electrical issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

RandyVMD

Reaction score
I recently purchased a deep well submersible deep well pump from an ebay vendor with the primary intention of using this pump for irrigation from a spring basin to a large pond in my front yard. Pump came with 100 feet of stranded 4 wire cord attached and a control box. electrical cord attached to control box was a 2 prong European plug with an adapter provided for standard north American 110volt outlets (Chineese product). Hooked this up according to specks and needed an extension to supply power from my shed which is serviced by direct bury outdoor 12/2 grounded wire to a 200amp subpanel in my garage roughly 100 feet away. selected a convenient cord of 50 feet that may have only been 16ga.
powered up the pump and was very impressed with the water flow, obtained a full 1 1/2" pipe of water at the top of a 25 foot rise and let this flow into a downspout collection basin that feeds to the pond.
First issue was that the European plug adapter immediately became hot and shorted out so I opened up the control box and replaced the pigtail plug with a standard US plug that I scavenged from a scrapped microwave, seemed to be equivalent guage. Set pump back in operation and it provided good flow for about 6 hours then the 20 amp breaker started tripping and shutting down the pump. Assuming my extension cord may be an issue, I replaced it with a 12 gauge cord and operated the pump again only to find that the control box wire leading to the circuit breaker continues to heat up within minutes of use and trips the breaker.
Not sure what to do next, was going to try single strand 12/2 grounded single strand wire as replacement for my extension cord but didn't have any on hand. Why does this pump require a control box at all? Could you detail its function or is it needed only to step down voltage from European electrical supplies? Can the pump be directly wired without a high risk of shorting it out? Will detail the wiring colors when I can, at work right now. Thanks in advance for any insight, RandyVMD

RandyVMD

Reaction score
Breaker issues noted above are within the control box only. Service line to shed is GFI protected and neither the GFI nor the panel breakers have tripped.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you'd need four wires to power a 110vac pump?!

What's in that control box? It may be that the pump is dual voltage, and the connections in the control box allow it to run on 110 or 220. It sounds like with the extra leads, you're pushing the limits, indicated by the heat, of the supply wires. A European plug implies 240vac operation, but the control box may have voltage sensing, and switch the windings to accept 120vac. Keep in mind, the same pump at 120vac will draw 2x the amperage as it would if run at 240vac.

What is the stated amperage draw of the motor? Code calls for the 80% rule for items that are run constantly, so as things heat up, the voltage goes down, the amperage goes up, and over time, you can approach the limit on the circuit breaker if it's close.

RandyVMD

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you'd need four wires to power a 110vac pump?!

What's in that control box? It may be that the pump is dual voltage, and the connections in the control box allow it to run on 110 or 220. It sounds like with the extra leads, you're pushing the limits, indicated by the heat, of the supply wires. A European plug implies 240vac operation, but the control box may have voltage sensing, and switch the windings to accept 120vac. Keep in mind, the same pump at 120vac will draw 2x the amperage as it would if run at 240vac.

What is the stated amperage draw of the motor? Code calls for the 80% rule for items that are run constantly, so as things heat up, the voltage goes down, the amperage goes up, and over time, you can approach the limit on the circuit breaker if it's close.
I could not find a stated amperage draw on the pump motor, the control box contains a connector rail, a power switch, a 20 amp circuit breaker and some type of coil or condenser cylinder. I was of the same deduction that this control box is intended to step down 240vac to 110ac but would like to clarify with someone more knowledgeable. Wires to the pump from the control box are colors blue, black, brown, and yellow with green stripe(ground).

Attachments

• IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 797
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 3,694
  • IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 793
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 755

RandyVMD

Reaction score
Is the pump submerged in water completely?
The motor and intake screen are in the water but he top 25 - 30% of the unit is above the water and the spring does not draw down at all, it continues to overflow the reservoir as the pump operates. The motor is at the bottom of the assembly and the top is the impeller portion of the unit.

RandyVMD

Reaction score
I could not find a stated amperage draw on the pump motor, the control box contains a connector rail, a power switch, a 20 amp circuit breaker and some type of coil or condenser cylinder. I was of the same deduction that this control box is intended to step down 240vac to 110ac but would like to clarify with someone more knowledgeable. Wires to the pump from the control box are colors blue, black, brown, and yellow with green stripe(ground).

Attachments

• IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 8,198

Jadnashua

Reaction score
1100W at 110vac is 10A. Nothing in there would work as a step up...the placard states it is a 110vac motor, so it's unusual that it had a Euro plug on it. It could be reversible, but still not sure why you have three wires plus ground. The capacitor helps keep the relay contacts from bouncing and wearing out fast, or it's a start capacitor for the motor (more likely).

WIth the length of the attached cord, then an extension cord, the voltage drop as things warm up could be fairly high, driving the amperage up. Anything that drops the voltage is creating heat (resistive like a heating element) and making things less efficient. Worst case, it could exceed the capacity of the winding's, and burn the thing out. You could have issues with the receptacle where it's plugged in, too. High current can affect the spring tension on the contacts, and add resistance, and make things hotter and less efficient.

A submergible pump normally is literally submerged, and that helps it with cooling. If part of the body of the pump remains above the water surface, that can affect its life.

Bgard

Reaction score
That is a motor capacitor . Can you feel the pump motor when it is running? It shoul be cool, it is called a submersible for a reason

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Wow a 1.1KW motor is what we call a 1.5HP. Never seen one of those in 110 volts. With 110V it should be drawing about 24 amps. Might be drawing less if it is not pumping max flow like when the flow is restricted. At max flow a 1.5HP should use 24 amps. Plugs are not good at that amperage and you need at least #10 wire. Also too much amperage for a regular pressure switch. But did you really get that for 58 bucks?

Oh and 4 wires is common for a 3 wire submersible. The control box is required to change from 2 wires coming from the breaker to the 3 wires and a ground going to the motor.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Power = volts * amps, or amps = Power (watts)/volts. If it is using 1100W/110 V, the amperage draw is 10A. Now, start current would be likely much higher and generally require a larger circuit to take that initial surge. Using too light a gauge of wire will create problems. As the voltage drops, the amperage will try to go up to compensate, until you trip the breaker or the windings burn up.

RandyVMD

Reaction score
Wow a 1.1KW motor is what we call a 1.5HP. Never seen one of those in 110 volts. With 110V it should be drawing about 24 amps. Might be drawing less if it is not pumping max flow like when the flow is restricted. At max flow a 1.5HP should use 24 amps. Plugs are not good at that amperage and you need at least #10 wire. Also too much amperage for a regular pressure switch. But did you really get that for 58 bucks?

Oh and 4 wires is common for a 3 wire submersible. The control box is required to change from 2 wires coming from the breaker to the 3 wires and a ground going to the motor.
Thanks for the insight, not sure where you referenced $58, bought the system on eBay in2016 for future use (now) and recall paying around $120.

RandyVMD

Reaction score
I am not too versed with all this electrical resistance info and am not sure I am processing all your comments accurately. Please comment on my summary. I am confident that the pump is in enough water to stay cool even though the top outflow flange is exposed.

110v supply seems to be inherently inadequate for length of supply wire, 50 foot extension cord is multi strand 12 ga grounded cord, would single strand 12/2 romex make any difference?

Would decreasing head pressure from 1 1/2" to 1" pipe change the current draw of the pump and allow it to function?
Don't really want to give up the water output.

Is direct wiring of this pump without the control box totally taboo?

My most practical fix for this overheating dilemma seems to be connecting the control box to 220v, will this work? Hate to invest the expense in wire and labor only to find this has flaws as well but I have plenty of room in my garage panel and can get the attached pump harness to within 125 feet.

Thanks all, quite impressed with your forum participation

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score

No it does not do that.

I would check the cap wiring, It looks like it was replaced using a different type. (Start-Run 2 section)

The connections to the cap have been Hot, As seen in your picture.

Reach4

Reaction score
Please comment on my summary. I am confident that the pump is in enough water to stay cool even though the top outflow flange is exposed.
Normally, if you are using a submersible pump to pump to a shallower depth, you orient the pump horizontally, and ideally put it into a flow inducer / sleeve to provide better motor cooling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks