Search results

1. ShelzMike

New circuit - Eaton Combined AFCI/GFCI Trips when any switch is thrown

OK, so I have spent the entire weekend upgrading the last remaining old circuit in my 1943 home. It is comprised of 5 switches for overhead fixtures (details below). Before I changed this all out, all switches were ungrounded (2 conductor only) and were switch loops. What I did was remove every...
  2. ShelzMike

New toilet running for a few second, but only about 10-15 minutes after shower is over.

This one has me stumped as stumped can be. I recently completed remodel of our single (only) bathroom as well as a complete tear out and re-plumbing of the whole house DWV system, including abandoning the septic and running new sewer line for a new sewer connection. When I say all of it, I mean...
  3. ShelzMike

Is there a trick to level a pedestal sink?

So my wife just had to have a pedestal sink. Lord help me now. Since I choose to have a happy life, I am now installing it. What a pain! I am up for the challenge and I'll get it but the one thing that is throwing me is how to level it. With the basin sitting on the pedestal, it is about 1/8"...
  4. ShelzMike

Caulking shower fixtures, do you leave a week hole?

I have seen some disagreement on this over the internet. When applying silicone to shower/bath fixtures, do you leave a week hole or area underneath the fixtures and plates for any reason? Seems like this doesnt make much sense. Also, bonus question. Silicone on overflow in tub? (Obviously in...
  5. ShelzMike

Another wax ring question, but more philosophical

Well, maybe not philosophical per se, but not just another "which is better" post. So, if the general consensus is that the reinforced rings are not as good as the good old less than $2 standard rings, why is it that there are so many reinforced rings at the blues, oranges, and green big...
  6. ShelzMike

New tub spout install not rigid due to copper rough in

Perhaps this is a normal occurrence and I am just not aware as I don't think I have even used a copper stub out before for the tub spout. Anyhow, I have completely redone all of the supply and DWV plumbing in the whole house and working on the bathroom finishing at this point. For the long runs...
  7. ShelzMike

Why can't a TPR Valve drain pipe be threaded on outlet end?

I was reading the code on hot water heaters and saw that one of the TPR requirements is that the outlet end can't be threaded and I can't think of any reason why that's a problem. I mean, it's not a big deal, posting more point of curiosity of reasoning.
  8. ShelzMike

Toilet rough in making flange sit unlevel, options?

I am getting ready to install my toilet flange and my "helper" (ahem..wife) must have let the plumb slip on the waste pipe when I was flying it and now my flange isnt going to set level. One one side, it's flush with top of finished floor (or will be) and the high side is 5/16 "above it. What...
  9. ShelzMike

Options for end of foundation / gutter drain pipe

At the end of last year, I installed a foundation drain (used sewer drain PVC corrugated, NOT the black corrugated pipe as it was a 7' hole backfilled with gravel) and it works very well! Hard work for sure, but worth it. Anyhow, after it passes the corner of the foundation in the back, I...
  10. ShelzMike

I have never in my life...shower arm weeping in the tiniest amount at the drop ear no matter what

So here is possibly one of the most frustrating problems I have ever encountered. Remodeling bathroom, fully, studs to joists and back up again. I have my shower supply (copper from Delta multichoice) to drop ear. All is good. So I give the new Delta shower arm (Delta Classic) my normal amount...
  11. ShelzMike

Back to Back sink supply line challenge

So I have a smaller house that has a bathroom and a kitchen that have a common shared wall and the lav and kitchen sink are literally back to back and due to size constraints, there is absolutely no way to move them away to make the drain and supply lines a little more manageable. As you can...
  12. ShelzMike

Is it a good idea to make PEX to copper connection below floor, outside of wall?

A simple best practice question. I am remodeling our smallish bathroom and installing a shower/tub valve (Delta Multichoice). My supply lines are all PEX, but I will be fixture connecting with copper (sweat, not press or Sharkbite). Initially, I was going to run the supply PEX up into the wall...
  13. ShelzMike

Sanitary Tee in it's back or Schedule 40 Tee for vent?

Normally, I'd try to use a vent tee, but no where around here carries them (maybe that means no one uses them?). So my options are a sanitee on its back or a schedule 40 water application tee. I have both in my hand currently. Considering that, which is preferred? I'm think the sch. 40. This...
  14. ShelzMike

Should a Fernco donut bottom out, or stay flush with top?

Working on a 4" cast iron to 4" PVC junction. I used a wire brush on a drill and got the inside of the CI bell nice and clean, shiny even. I contacted Fernco with my measurements and have the correct donut according to them. I put the donut in and when it is flush with the top of the CI bell...
  15. ShelzMike

Toilet drain, should I change these 45s to 90s?

I have already designed my complete DWV renovation to make it code compliant and add in some proper venting, etc. That thread along with the design can be found here...
  16. ShelzMike

Complete Replacement of DWV after redesign - where to start installing?

I have posted another thread related to the design of my completely new DWV system as I am remodeling and have a smaller home an everything is sort of centralized in one main area around the stack. With the great help of folks on this forum, I have landed on this for the design: Now the big...
  17. ShelzMike

Can a regular 90 and sanitary tee be used on a double kitchen sink?

I think this is OK, but as I was getting my material list from my design together, I hesitated on this aspect. Kitchen has a 2 sided sink and has a regular 90 and a sanitary tee. When you add in the P-Trap, space will become an issue, so is this OK?
  18. ShelzMike

Any drill bit recommendations for drilling the lead around a cast iron pipe for removal?

I have tried everything I can to avoid needing to remove all the way to the bottom bell (that sits on my slab) but, alas, it appears I have no choice as I am unable to drain my utility sink and washer properly due to the height at which I would have to cut the cast to use a regular fernco. So I...
  19. ShelzMike

Before I get too much into planning, what should I be aware of in this existing configuration?

I am remodeling the only bathroom in our 3 x 1, 980 sq. ft. home. It was built in 1943 and the original configuration still exists of the plumbing, but the materials have changed over time. Previous owners before me had made repairs, so the makeup is as follows: Waste stack is 4" cast iron. The...
  20. ShelzMike

Offset fitting. I may be thinking too hard about this, but what is this cast fitting called?

Working on remodeling our only bathroom in our small 1943 home. I will be replacing all of the dwv as I need to bring it up to code for venting primarily (or at least I think I do..still working on planning for that). Under the subfloor, there is this offset that gets it to the stack that is...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks