Search results

1. rural_engineer

Little bit of orange water out of water heater

I have a brand new AO Smith Voltex HPTU-66N heat pump water heater. I have brass elbows on the inlet and outlet connecting to 24" stainless corrugated flex hoses (forming a heat trap), connecting to various brass fittings and a mixing valve. Whenever I run hot water, the very first bit of hot...
  2. rural_engineer

Carrying a new water heater down stairs

I'm looking at getting an AO Smith HPTU-80N 80 gallon hybrid water heater delivered to my house. The shipping weight on this thing is 307lbs. How should I move this thing down the stairs to the basement? Am I going to be able to move this around strapped to a hand truck? I don't want to do...
  3. rural_engineer

How do I operate this valve?

I'm fairly sure that I'm looking at a Ford Meter Box ball valve. I'm a little concerned because the handle attachment looks a lot like some sort of lift up pressure release. And I don't want to start a big leak where the water line enters my house. Have I identified this correctly? Am I safe...
  4. rural_engineer

Is my pump drawing too much current

I just installed an energy monitor in my house, and I'm wondering if my pump is drawing too much current. I have a Grundfos 25S15-9 with a CSV125-1. They've been in use since last fall. After the initial spike, it looks like the pump is drawing 12.5-13A continuously while it refills the tank...
  5. rural_engineer

Fixing permeate pump drain line noise and movement

The drain line from the permeate pump on my RO system jumps around and makes noise every time the pump actuates. Is there something like a water hammer arrestor for a drain line?
  6. rural_engineer

RO Water, LLDPE & Ice Makers

I've installed a reverse osmosis filter with a permeate pump and a 20 gallon tank in my crawlspace. I've got five drinking water taps throughout the house that I've plumbed with 3/8" LLDPE and John Guest fittings in the crawlspace. All of the tubing is visible for inspection. Everything seems to...
  7. rural_engineer

Would a wye make an effective airgap?

Would a wye installed on a standpipe, with the a short stub on the diagonal branch to prevent splashing, and a longer stub going upward as an inlet, be an effective airgap? I would think the flood line would be the top of the diagonal stub, so siphoning shouldn't happen unless your drain tubes...
  8. rural_engineer

Air Gap & Standpipe Issues for Water Processing

I have a 1.5" PVC standpipe that primarily serves as the drain for my water softener. It also is the overflow drain for the brine tank and the brine drain for the RO system. Additionally, I would like to have it be the backwashing drain for a Hydra filter. Here are my woes: 1. I currently am...
  9. rural_engineer

Pressure gauge for RO system

What's a good pressure gauge to go on the output of a reverse osmosis system? Thanks!
  10. rural_engineer

Brine tank bulging

I've noted that my rectangular brine tank bulges when I add a lot of salt. Is this normal? It's a 15x17x36 tank that's rated for 240lbs.
  11. rural_engineer

How to troubleshoot brine line drawing air

I have a 2 Cu. Ft. softener with a Fleck 5810XTR2. I've noted that the brine line seems to be drawing air once the brine tank empties during the draw cycle. From reading elsewhere this sounds like a check valve issue or brine line leak. I've seen suggestions for how to troubleshoot, but I'm not...
  12. rural_engineer

3 Grains Hardness after Softener in New House

I've been consistently getting about 3 grains of hardness on a brand new softener with brand new plumbing, even after regenerating several times and using the hot and cold water pretty heavily. I've been checking it with a Hach 5B. What might be causing this, and how can I troubleshoot it? I've...
  13. rural_engineer

Leaking kitchen basket to tailpiece

I have a new Kraus basket strainer (Kraus BST-1) that won't seal to the tailpiece. As I turn the slip nut, past a certain point it just starts popping over the strainer threads rather than tightening. I've tried two different plastic tailpieces, one provided by my plumber and a "premium" one...
  14. rural_engineer

Undercharged Pressure Tanks

My well pump operates on a 50/70 pressure switch and I have a 60PSI CSV in my well, which seems to give just over 50 PSI at the house when the water runs continuously. (It's about 16-18' vertically from the well to the house.) My plumbers aren't very knowledgeable, and I believe installed the...
  15. rural_engineer

3/8" compression to 1/4" LLDPE tubing

I have a 3/8" stop that will only supply a reverse osmosis system. I don't need to tee it off to a faucet. Is there an inexpensive single-fitting solution to connect the 1/4" LLDPE (John Guest) tubing to the 3/8" compression fitting? Thanks, John
  16. rural_engineer

Softener settings check

Do my softener settings look correct? We've got 0.56ppm Iron and 25.46gpg hardness according to a lab test of our well water, and not much else of concern. I verified the hardness with a Hach 5B. The unit is a 2 cu. ft. Fleck 5810 XTR2. It's in a new house that we're not living in yet, so we...
  17. rural_engineer

Reverse osmosis tubing code

Are there any rules governing how you can run tubing from a reverse osmosis system that I should be aware of? In particular, rules about running it overhead in a heated crawlspace? Thanks!
  18. rural_engineer

Oil? in water, new plumbing, where is it coming from?

The cold water plumbing for my new house near Rochester, NY just went in. I'm using a well that's from the 1980s, but never was used until now. In preparation for having no water while I shocked the well, I filled some 5 gallon pails up from my sink for my tile guy. I noticed I have some...
  19. rural_engineer

Water treatment. Does this system make sense?

Here's my planned water treatment setup for my well: Pressure Tank (50 /70 psi) Hydra 90 micron sediment filter 64,000 grain Fleck 5810XTR2 water softener (Iron Out in the brine tank) 20" Pentek Big Blue filter with 50/5 micron dual gradient cartridge (Optional addition if needed: UV...
  20. rural_engineer

How to drill hole for RO dispenser in granite and stainless

I need to drill a hole in a countertop for a reverse osmosis water dispenser. I need to go through the granite countertop and the stainless lip of an undermount sink. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this without destroying too many drill bits? Thanks!
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks