Leaking kitchen basket to tailpiece

Users who are viewing this thread

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a new Kraus basket strainer (Kraus BST-1) that won't seal to the tailpiece. As I turn the slip nut, past a certain point it just starts popping over the strainer threads rather than tightening. I've tried two different plastic tailpieces, one provided by my plumber and a "premium" one from Lowes. I have a dishwasher, so the slip nuts on the tailpiece are captive.

What should I try to solve this? Right now I'm stuck keeping a tub underneath the sink to catch the drips.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally you would have a nylon washer between the basket and the tailpiece that helps with sealing. If the nylon one isn't working, they also make a rubber reinforced washer that can seal better. I don't know how tight your nut needs to be, but hand tight should work.

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's a rubber washer installed. The nut is much less than finger tight. If I twist it too hard with my thumb and forefinger, it pops off the threads and becomes loose again. The slip nut that came with the strainer fit much better on the threads.

Should I consider a metal tailpiece?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would consider changing the basket. The plastic nuts on the tailpieces are all the same. Though I guess you could try a metal with metal nut first.

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I bought an 8" metal tailpiece from Home Depot, and the nut fit well and tightened down without slipping. Strange. Everything seals well now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks