Search results

1. MaryAnnKacz

Toilet flange problem!

Definitely getting a plumber for this one. Top of flange is 1 1/4 " above floor. Toilet is not even close to touching the floor. What will determine if it is an easy or difficult job? I know existing flange was installed within last five years. House does have basement, so there is access...
  2. MaryAnnKacz

Toilet flange problem!

Would the big box stores carry the spacers? If I made one out of plywood, how would I do that, and which would look better?
  3. MaryAnnKacz

Toilet flange problem!

Previous owners of house installed ceramic tile directly over luan in small bathroom. Removed ceramic tile. Most of the tiles were cracked of course. I got all the old mortar off of luan. Plan on installing vinyl flooring. It seems they installed flange to allow for tile. The tile was...
  4. MaryAnnKacz

Another waste drain question

Replacing waste drain metal piece on cast iron tub. Don't know which one to get. The one with the lever, the kind that you manually lift to open? Which type is better? The only ones I could find in stock in brushed nickel are Watts or Pegasus brand. Want to get one that will last. Also, do...
  5. MaryAnnKacz

Life expectancy of fiberglass tub surrounds.

Need to decide which tub surround I'm going with. Leaning toward a Mustee molded fiberglass which is nailed to studs. Using with existing cast iron tub. Only molded nail to stud unit I could find that will fit an existing tub. It has interlocking panels, but does need caulked where unit meets...
  6. MaryAnnKacz

Anyone have experience with Mustee tub surrounds?

Plumber is recommending Mustee tub surround. He said they are the thickest in my price range. This is to go around existing alcove cast iron tub. They have a 2 or 3 piece model that is nailed to studs. It costs between $300 and $400 depending where I get it. Has to be ordered anywhere I get...
  7. MaryAnnKacz

Persistently leaking toilet.

Thanks for the advice. I believe it is the flange too. Had plumber here today. He just gave me estimate. Didn't pull toilet. He'll do that when he comes to install shut off for tub.
  8. MaryAnnKacz

Persistently leaking toilet.

Just noticed my toilet is leaking again when flushing. House is on slab. Original flange is still there, but about 2 years ago, plumber put some kind of new piece on it, because it was leaking then. Toilet has been taken out and reset about 3 times since then, and doesn't leak immediately, but...
  9. MaryAnnKacz

Insulated tank American Standard

Do the factory installed insulated liners really work to reduce sweating? Need a new toilet anyway, thought about trying this before installing tempering valve. Does anyone have experience with American Standard ones?
  10. MaryAnnKacz

How to install drywall up to tub edge.

Yes, shower also. No tile, except on floor. We bought a 3 piece tub surround , Crane, with overlapping corners. Do we leave a gap with surround also, or does it rest on tub?
  11. MaryAnnKacz

How to install drywall up to tub edge.

Keeping our Kohler Villager tub. House is 50's pre-fab. Things are a little different in this house. Interior walls are 2x3 studs turned the other way. Over this is 1/4 or 3/8 inch plywood paneling. I'm wondering if this paneling is part of wall support. Why did I buy this house? Bathroom...
  12. MaryAnnKacz

How to lift front of cast iron tub without damaging it.

Have access to all the plumbing in adjacent closet. Everything is dry in closet around pipes. Cannot find leak anywhere. Checked all the pipes and tub drain. Floor feels moist under tub, but not around drain, just in one area. corner of wall with fixtures. Had plumber here when I first...
  13. MaryAnnKacz

How to lift front of cast iron tub without damaging it.

Have a bathroom that has mushy luan over concrete. Luan goes under tub a couple of inches. Have access panel in adjacent closet. Was able to just rip the wet luan. Luan is not nailed under tub. Would like to keep cast iron tub, 12 years old in great shape. Is there anyway after removing...
  14. MaryAnnKacz

Changed my mind, need advice on tub wall surrounds.

Call me crazy, I have changed my mind. I am keeping my cast iron tub, even though I hate caulking. Its only about 12 years old, in great condition, Kohler Villager. I don't think I would like the feel of fiberglass or acrylic tub. Are some brands of tub surrounds better than others. I don't...
  15. MaryAnnKacz

Is "optional mortar bed" necessary?

I guess we will go with mortar bed. Boyfriend is a big guy. Exactly what do what use? Do we mix it with water? Don't know much about mortar, except thinset for tiling. Do we heap it in piles, or spread it? How thick should it be in inches? Also, can we lay plastic over this to make...
  16. MaryAnnKacz

Is "optional mortar bed" necessary?

Will be installing Sterling Aclaim tub shower unit ourselves, or at least we will give it an attempt. From directions, it does not seem too difficult. House is on slab. I know not everyone does the mortar bed. When some say they use foam instead, what kind of foam are they talking about...
  17. MaryAnnKacz

Two handle tub and shower to one handle?

Totally gutting and re-doing bathroom. Currently have 2 handles, tub spout and shower head. Doing most of the work ourselves. Plumber will be coming to install shut off valve for bath. Does not have one now. Fixtures will be in brushed nickel. I have only been able to find one brand of...
  18. MaryAnnKacz

Sweating toilet

Getting ready to start a complete bath re-do. House is on slab, have a problem with sweating toilet. When I first bought house, did not have a problem with toilet. Had an older toilet in it. Re-did bathroom 20 years ago, have had a problem since. Bought an American Standard with insulated...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks